• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new Multi Coil Ignition system...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Does it just act like a coil? or is it a full ignition system that has a electronically controlled advance curve that just uses the distributor to determine engine position (with the advance mechanism somehow removed or disabled)?

If a full ignition system, does it have a set curve or is it adjustable?

Guest Anonymous

ignition.jpg

URL: http://home.attbi.com/~rhobando/2002_pics/ignition.jpg

Here is the story. The unit is a Compufire DIS-IX designed for a flat 4 VW Bug. The ignition wires had to be swapped around for it to work correctly. Also, the reluctor on the dizzy shaft had a slight bit of play (I guess the 009 dizzy had larger lobes) so I used a small bit of high temp silicon to keep it fastened. A tach adaptor is needed (from Compufire) for the tach to work (2 coils = 2 separate signals)...

Robert

Guest Anonymous

The advance is still controlled by the dizzy. The reluctor has 4 magnets that trigger the signal to the coil packs, very similar to a Pertronics unit, and it attaches to where the old rotor use to be. The aluminum cap has the electronics built in it that receives the signal and sends it to the coilpacks.

Robert

Guest Anonymous

I wanted to go to a multi coil direct fire system but the Electamotive system was ~$800. This system was much cheaper but I had to take a chance that it may not work at all because it was designed for a VW bug.

The MSD unit cost around $170 but when you add the Optical or magnetic ignition that adds $80 and a hot coil adds $50 with a wire set plus $40. That adds up to ~$340. The Compufire ignition cost me $200+$15 shipping. It already came with all of the above plus it is a multi coil system. From what was I have been told, in a 2 coil system the coils work half as hard and are able to fire and refresh more reliably... and at 60,000 volts.

Those are just some of my reasons... actually the main one was just to try something different, and it looks cool :)

Robert

Guest Anonymous

I just re-installed my rebuilt head about 1 gas tank ago and have been waiting for a throttle linkage part. The time I have driven it (short) it seemed to rev up to 7.5K in 1st and 2nd gear just fine. Also, when starting the car it seems to fire up quicker, like a late model car... I'll post more when I put the throttle linkage back on and synch the dual carbs.

Robert