• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Needle bearing in Tii tuna can

rapandi

Hi team

As I refurbish my engine I took a closer look at the tuna can assembly on my tii. I noticed that it has two needle roller bearings pressed in to the aluminium where the the throttle rod goes through. 

These bearings are are in pretty poor state. I am guessing back in the day Bmw would not have bothered replacing the bearings. They would have just replaced the entire assembly. 

Judging from the the way the bearing are pressed in I don’t think it was designed to be overhauled with a new one. Can these be replaced? I can’t work out how I would pull it out though.  

Just fishing for thiughts and ideas before I make a decision. 

Raj 

0BD75333-43D5-4170-AF1E-6E39425E36B9.thumb.jpeg.6ddce2f992bc2847a2bd002080f0e4b7.jpeg99DCF9CD-70A5-4E57-83C3-B4453A8C8113.thumb.jpeg.c139d4ab7da9c9ebda671b7b192a90f8.jpeg

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

The real wear area on the tii throttle body is the other hole that has the pressed in bushings (brass I think).  Those bushings get worn because of the spring tension from the throttle return spring.  I've heard that people sometimes get that area re-bushed, but I don't know where they get it done.  The needle bearings are on the shaft for the butterfly, no? 

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️