• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Purchase this 2002?

Chris82

I've seen worse in this price range but that does need a LOT of TLC.

Looks like the paint could use a sand and buff, also some belt trim and that Center Grill is PRICEY . The list of little things could go on for a while, the same could also be said for my personal car.........With an 02 the list usually stops when You stop 

Not sure I personally would by an Automatic 02

Me for reference:

IMG_4009.thumb.JPG.48ecd7a63167b7ab622da6f5dc476788.JPG

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

I dunno.

Looks like a good $6500 car to me :)

Rockers need metal work.

Cheap slapped-on paint job.

Oh, and I hate de-trimmed cars. But that's just me :P

My $0.02.

Cheers,

Edited by ray_
  • Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

okay.  that was a short answer.

One of the things I enjoy is originality.  I don't mind that things wear and show their age.  I prefer that to having things glossed-over.  That paint job looks like it was done in a hurry.  Like the roundels were masked off, as opposed to taking two seconds to pop them off and there are a lot of parts that should not have been sprayed body color.  I may be seeing it wrong, but that is the impression.  the rockers look freshly 'shutzed' and yet I see blisters of rust.  Black trunks and engine bays are not my thing, especially brush painted.  I like the belt line trim, but it has been deleeeted.  I don't want to nit pick it... I would just rather buy one that seems less ... prepped-for-sale.

I should probably just mind my own business.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

okay.  that was a short answer.

One of the things I enjoy is originality.  I don't mind that things wear and show their age.  I prefer that to having things glossed-over.  That paint job looks like it was done in a hurry.  Like the roundels were masked off, as opposed to taking two seconds to pop them off and there are a lot of parts that should not have been sprayed body color.  I may be seeing it wrong, but that is the impression.  the rockers look freshly 'shutzed' and yet I see blisters of rust.  Black trunks and engine bays are not my thing, especially brush painted.  I like the belt line trim, but it has been deleeeted.  I don't want to nit pick it... I would just rather buy one that seems less ... prepped-for-sale.

I should probably just mind my own business.

This is your business.

;-)

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

14 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Looks like a good $6500 car to me

Those days are long gone for us in CA, $6500 seems to get you a non driver basket case 

:D:D

Even the bumpers are not attached, really looks like a $1,099.99 quickie paint job for high $$$$ sale. 

Edited by chargin
  • Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Looks like a great $3500 project. There's simply not much to love about this car. It's been lipsticked for sale and nothing more. Keep looking. 

And @ Chargin: Hopefully that CA basket case scenario you describe, is at least an honest car, where you can see the history and maybe even original paint, rather than being under slathered paint, a bunch of slippery armor-all  and some fresh carpet. Non-running is the easy part to fix! :D

**EDIT** - I just cruised through the photos again... that car is a complete rolling nightmare. The paint quality and overspray on **everything** is just a clue, as to the care and attention given to the entire thing, as they readied it for sale. Run like hell from cars (and sellers) like this. 

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 3

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

A few observations:

1)  The front bumper is not mounted correctly.  It drops forward.  Poor workmanship or structural problem?

2)  Speakers in the door panels.  Check behind the panels for potential water problems.

3)  Modified center exhaust is just wrong.  

4)  New track rod and track rod end ball joint for the passenger side.  Why not also replace the driver side?

My $0.02

• Like 2

The fitting of the front bumper/fender indicates the standard of care and the general attention to detail applied to this "restored" car.

I would keep looking....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

1 hour ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

....prepped-for-sale....

+1

Those three little words say it all.

I don’t even believe it is truly Malaga, as it looks metallic to me.  Original seat covers?  Nope, not with 9 pleats (original has 12 pleats).  And that black paint in the engine and luggage compartments is likely hiding a color change, rust, or old body damage...

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)