• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Purchase this 2002?

Chris82

Not sure if you've found your car yet, and I really hope you passed on the first one, but here's another decent car:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/1973-bmw-2002-roundie/6477512988.html

Happy hunting,

James

• Like 1

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

That one needs a close look. If the metal work took care of the rust properly it may be okay.

Those shock towers are way too smooth. Someone spent some time fixing them. Hopefully properly...

That the trunk floor panel is askew is hopefully not an indication of something nefarious.

00f0f_2wJ3BIntDLk_1200x900.jpg

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

7 hours ago, Dan Seattle said:

Lip stick on a pig. I paid 11 fir mine.  Needs work but mine is miles  ahead of that one. I would not pay more than 8k fir that. 

I'd save my money and run away :)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 1/22/2018 at 8:40 PM, Jbaumshelter said:

This looks all to familiar to me. I bought a 2002 back in September in almost this same price range. It was out of state so I paid a company $250 to go do an inspection for me. I should have spent about 20 hours on this forum instead. The biggest mistake I made was that I didn't have an exact plan for what I wanted to do with my car. I got the car and fixed the things that were never mentioned to me by the inspection company. I found a rust hole under the back seat the size of a softball. The paint job was ok, but not to my standards. The car had some things that I wanted: Power steering (works but not really needed), Air conditioning, Power door locks, decent interior but not original. Once I got my car, things changed rapidly, I wanted a 5 speed, I wanted more power, the list never seems to never end to this day. 

My point is...I knew I wanted a 2002 but I would have served myself and my wallet much better by buying a car that was less expensive and doing the things I wanted myself. I could have a great paint job instead of fixing one. From the pictures of this car, IMO you are buying a project. It appears to be a "lipstick on a pig" restoration. Maybe I'm wrong..I don't like to judge other peoples work to harshly.  Take some time and find the "right" car for you. Look thru the "cars for sale" section on this forum. There are some dam good/smart people on this forum that can and will help you.

I really love my car and wouldn't part with it now. I just could have been much wiser when I first started seriously looking. I wish you the best of luck finding your new ride. These cars are awesome!

Ditto. I jumped and then looked and I now have a second car and the first one will be for sale shortly. Measure twice, cut once. Good luck

Up at the Ranch Pops used to say, Buy it right or buy it twice.

The Malaga Misfit needs a good home that has a money tree out back?

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way