• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel sender thingamabob

deschodt

I have an odd problem... My existing fuel sender still lies despite a good cleanup. I obtained another used one, cleaned it up, and it seems more accurate than mine from a test fitting..

However, my car has been converted to EFI and runs thicker fuel lines... I noticed that my existing fuel level sender has a plastic fitting attached around the pipe exiting it, that makes it connect perfectly to my bigger fuel line..

The replacement has a virgin pipe exiting the sender, and is therefore way too small to securely fit the fuel line... The plastic thingamabob is not removable so that I can transfer it over...

I clearly need to make something to thicken the replacement fuel sender pipe without contaminating fuel... I honestly have no idea what to call it, so I can google it....   Help ! Pipe thickener ? fuel line reducer led me to rubber reducers, not something I can fit on the copper-like pipe of my sender.... A silly grommet of some kinds would work, if sides right... can't search what I cannot name ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Hi,

The thingamabob you speak of is available from several parts vendors as well as the dealer.  I bought one a couple of months ago from my local dealer for something like $2.  Realoem shows the part number.

I looked it up: 62161350285, called a "Sleeve".

Edited by Healey3000

I have in the past just cut off a small section of the plastic hard line that runs from trunk to engine bay and used that to slide over the metal pipe...

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

So are we saying that a fuel sender SHOULD have that sleeve always ? I wasn't sure since I have one sender with and one without - I assumed my ex-mechanic had added that to match his new fuel line... 

35 minutes ago, deschodt said:

So are we saying that a fuel sender SHOULD have that sleeve always ? I wasn't sure since I have one sender with and one without - I assumed my ex-mechanic had added that to match his new fuel line... 

Yes.  There is a mismatch in diameters by design.  Not sure why but there must be a deep reason :-)

• 2 weeks later...

very kind of you but I bought one, and shipping cost 7x the sleeve ;-)

Ironically that did not fix my problem, the replacement sender "lies" the same as the old, so the problem has to be at the gauge... 

easy to test the senders.  measure resistance right side up (= empty) and upside down (=full).  range should be 0-85 "ish" ohms.

but what is the definition of your guage "lying"?   if you have the wrong sender for the tank (there are different lengths), it will be off.

or a bad connection in the wire somewhere could lead to a jittery reading or an incorrect one if resistance is induced.

2xM3

4 hours ago, mlytle said:

but what is the definition of your gauge "lying"?   if you have the wrong sender for the tank (there are different lengths), it will be off.

If your definition of lying is that it seems to take forever for the gauge to drop to half full, then zooms to 1/4 and then reserve in a few score miles, then "they all do that."  Really.

Dunno why, but it has something to do with how flat the tank is, top and bottom.  And since the tanks came in several different sizes, there are different lengths of senders.  A short one in a long tank will never read correctly, and of course you can't fit a tall one in a short tank!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 5 years later...
On 1/24/2018 at 1:34 PM, halboyles said:

Deschodt, PM me your address and I will send you one.  I cut them out of a new piece of the plastic hose that runs from the tank to the engine bay.

Is there any way I could get one?