• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Horn Button ( not working)

floatinghead

Update: still no horn.  I also can not hear a click from the relay when pushing horn button  or with wheel off and bridging brass ring and column.

- added a jumper wire on column around guibo ( see pic).  still nothing

- Tested relay again: got horn again to beep when 9v connected to 85 & 86 terminals with ignition on. also tested the same terminal resistance and got around 65 ohms, which is supposedly in range.

Any other thoughts on something to test?  Looking at the diagram that Buckeye provided, the 30 terminal runs to the fusebox, whereas mine is the red wire from the battery.  On the diagram  (see pic), the low beam relay gets power from the battery direct.  what is correct here?

anyway, I feel like its still between the column and the relay.  I'm going to pick up a new relay and clean the wires really well to rule that out.  any other suggestions appreciated.

Baron

73 tii

IMG_0447.jpg

2002 wiring diagram.png

50 minutes ago, jimk said:

Jumper wire 12v directly to the horn.  Honk, good horn, no honk, need another horn!

Jim left out the hit with hammer step.

:)

(seriously)

• Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The horn does work.  I ran leads directly to the battery and also connected the 85 & 86 relay pins to a 9V battery and the horn honked.  

i'm a bit confused on the wiring from the relay up to the column.  does a wire go to the fuse box for switched power from the 86 pin and then up to the brass ring on the column?

Since it's an aftermarket horn button, is it a 2-contact horn or 1-contact?

If it's a 2-contact horn button, you connect one to the lead inside and then create a ground for the other contact to make it work. I have a 2-contact Nardi horn button and it's awful. Once that ground comes loose (which happens every so often) the horn stops working or works intermittently. Then, I have to make a new ground and then it works for a while. I'm switching to a 1-contact horn button.

Not sure what you have going on, but that was my issue. Took me a bit to figure it out.

mike tunney

thanks for the advice Mike, but I actually haven't even gotten to getting the horn button connected.  It is a single contact, but because its a bit small in diameter, I need to wire a connection to the hub.  Or maybe i just buy a horn that fits...!

My problem seems to be the inability to ground the circuit at the column. i think.  I can get the horn to work if I bridge the 85-86 terminals on the relay with a 9v battery, but i can't get any beeping from the old bus wheel ( which worked prior) of the after market wheel with new hub (that used to work when the wire would touch the interior hub).

I might try and run a wire from  the brass ring direct to 86 and try some options with the 85 terminal for power and see what happens.  

Maybe a dumb question, but have you checked that the pin on the back of the wheel is making contact with the ring on the column? Mine has a tendency to slip from time to time and I have to push it back in with thin needle nose pliers. It's an aftermarket Nardi hub. Without that pin touching the circuit isn't complete and hence no honk honk.

• Thanks 1

mike tunney

OK, I finally made some progress tonight!  thanks to Halboyles for calling out the 85 lead /brown-yellow wire.  I pulled this lead and connected a wire from 85 and touched the steering column shaft and the horn blew.   yes! I also now realize that the 86 lead is switched power, which doesn't quite match up with the wiring diagram posted above, but at least i got it mapped.   

So  i've narrowed it down to this ground wire.  I suppose i need to remove the column covers now to see how the wire is running and if something came loose or if the brass ring connection is off.

Edited by floatinghead

1 hour ago, floatinghead said:

Yes, only been able to get the horn to fire when jerry rigged and ignition on. Nothing happens with ignition and steering wheel on

Sorry, had to ask. 

3 hours ago, floatinghead said:

brass ring connection is off.

Could easily happen.  Simple spade connector.

73 Inka Tii #2762958