• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Buy a Used Lift ?

73tiiDavidPA

A hobbyist is clearing out his garage space in the town I live and selling a lift.  Its an older lift from what I'm told / dug on on the web.  Seen very light duty, a bit dirty, but functions.  They want $1500 and they will deliver to my garage.  I'd pay to have someone install and hook up the electrical.  

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this lift?  Not sure if its a Symmetrical or Asymmetrical lift (one set of lift arms is very different from the other)?

VBM Challenger Spirit 2 (read that if it VBM its older - they now go by Challenger alone)

Model is 31000 - its 7,000 lbs

(yes it needs new lift pads) 

A quick search of the web shows I can get several brands of lift for between $2000 - $3000, some are even near $1500.  The cheaper ones I'd perhaps worry a bit about, but is it better to have a higher quality older one?  

(yes I have 12' ceilings in the garage)

IMG_4720.JPG

IMG_4721.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

IMG_4723.JPG

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

Hard to tell if it's asymmetric from the pics.  If it is, the posts will not be square to each other.  On each side, one arm will extend longer than the other.  I'd want a pro, maybe whoever you're going to have install it, check its operation and parts - cables, hydraulics, pump, safety latches.    With a history of light use, it might be a good buy or not.  

John

'74 2002

Edited by john02md

If your objective is to store a car....then you really want a 4 post lift or a lift that supports your tires/suspension and not one in which the tires stay dangling for prolonged periods of time.  You really want to have a lift that has a secure locking and safety features as you will have a few thousand pounds sitting over you or another car.  Also four legs are better than two. I would pass on this.

abe

Edited by abe2002tii

13 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

Old lift near end of life span, I would pass at $1500.  I would put that towards a new one or newer used one.

Good point - I'm leaning that way too.  

10 hours ago, abe2002tii said:

If your objective is to store a car....then you really want a 4 post lift

First one will be two post.  Then a 4 post perhaps when I have too many cars (the garage is 3 bays).  

1 hour ago, irdave said:

Maybe the new stuff isn't quite as expensive as you thought...

Yes, probably not worth saving the $500.  

Thanks for all the replies!  Really helps with the decision process (ex. no one came back with "that's a really great lift / industrial, etc., ....)

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

That's not an outstanding price for a lighter duty lift. 

But if it's in good condition, that seems to be about what they go for.

That said, the $1500 new lifts terrify me.  I've seen no- name

hydraulics from China, and wouldn't walk near them, not to mention under.

Personally, I'd be much more

comfortable buying a heavier, older well- made lift that wasn't damaged,

and then spending a little money and a significant chunk of  time going over it.

Having had access to an asymmetric lift, I personally like them very much,

and it's what I've been shopping for.  Missed a Rotary for $750 last week.  Was sad.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

In our shop we have one older Rotary brand, three BendPak wide symmetrical and one BendPak narrow asymmetrical.  In older lifts, Rotary seems to be the highest quality and BendPak is just below them.  From my experience, I wouldn't buy a narrow asymmetrical again.  We had to buy that one due to space limits but the configuration limits the cars that can it will accept.

Regarding your option, I agree with Toby that $1500 is strong money for old challenger 7000 lift.  If you can bide your time you should find a better deal.

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

Personally, I would (and did) go with a newer chinese brand than an aging american. Technology has changed somewhat and age is a factor.

I was shooting for a Bendpak (or danmar - just old bendpak designs) but after talking with several lift installers they all recommended staying clear of those brands - actually recommended Atlas over them. Said if you wanted to spend the money a Rotary or Challenger was the only way to go.

I bought an atlas 90HSC and am really happy with it - especially for hobby use. I've worked under multiple challenger, bendpak, atlas, lifts and i have a hard time telling a difference. I know of several shops that use Atlas products daily without issue.

The key is to use the lift properly and safely. Never walk under the car until it's sitting on a mechanical lock (not the hydraulics) and always have the car balanced properly and you're good to go.

• Like 1