• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone Explain the fule system for me?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A mechanical pump is driven off of the cam and pumps fuel from the tank up to the carb. Carb uses what it needs. Unfortunately, I can't remember where the fuel vapor line connects into the system. I think its off of the air filter housing. That's the blue line that runs back to the plastic container in the trunk.

Anyone else?

Guest Anonymous

I need a little description on how the fule system works on a 71 02. Im doing a 320I injection conversion and just need to know the Basics of how the fule is pumped into the engine. I know it sounds stupid but please help me out.

Thank You

Andy Rattley

Guest Anonymous

I find it hard to believe that you are going to tackle a 320i injection transplant without knowing the basics of the fuel system.

The 320i is totally different than the simple 2002. The 320i system will require an electric fuel pump, a mechanical injection pump, electronics, etc. Its a massive task, and probably not a very good choice. A later E30 318ti system may be better, but I don't really know. All i know is that 320i models were known to be down on power from the 2002.

Guest Anonymous

the fuel pump spins in relation to the cam speed which rotates half as many times as the crank shaft. When the engine speed goes up, the fuel pump pumps faster. The fuel is then sucked through the carb's fuel jets from the float bowls as the air pressure drops thru the venturis, and this is related to engine speed as well. The float bowl only need to be so full, so that's why there is a fuel return line; The fuel pump might be pumping more gas than needed and is returned to the tank if so.

I hope that makes sense,

Elliot G.