• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you help identify this differential?

jedi420

Lots of meaty threads on this topic.  Try search.

The only (currently) useless numbers are the ones cast into the bottom of the housing!  Yours is a short-neck differential with four-bolt side covers, so 1968-1978.  The large gaps between the side covers and the output flanges further suggest it is an ‘02 diff (1968-1976), not an early e21 diff (1975-1978).  And Andrew’s comment regarding the rear cover, assuming it’s wearing the original rear cover, further narrows the likely date range to 1968-1973.  Dollars to doughnuts, as Andrew says, it’s a 3.64 open diff.

Regards,

Steve

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

....and using my psychonic powers, I think that the spider gears are at least a little galled, if not really whacked.

The 168 diff is relatively stout, but the center section of it is not.   Burnouts cause it to... no, not burn out, chunk up.

For a swap, the later E21 diff is significantly more durable- and it's usually a 3.91, which might make an M20 wind a bit.

Andrew has a biggie thread that has all the dee- tails.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL