• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

13" tire group buy

BLUNT

Period correct in 165/80 13 or 185/70 13's are the way to go in tubeless so I am very interested.  It's hard to fit much more than a 165 in the spare tire well.  Thanks for putting this together!  jeffreymprisco@msn.com

Edited by j2002tii

Are these Pirelli or Michelin 13s actually manufactured by Pirelli or Michelin or are they reproductions?  I was under the impression that the Michelin XAS, available in modern times, were made by Coker.

I'm glad to see interest in 13s.  I was thinking about downsizing, or correct-sizing.

John

74 2002

On 2/9/2018 at 2:39 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

For me 3.4% is significant.  70mph on speedo is actually 67.9mph.    90mph is actually 87mph.  Add that to the gauge discrepancy...jeez.

I can't get my head around people caring about a 5% or less speedometer discrepancy. 

The actual speedometer gauge hashmark spacing between numbers, and the needle indicator thickness are such that there is always 1-2 mph in question regardless of how accurate your speedometer is.  I also find that I "look" at my speedometer less as speed increases, and then I only "glance" my speedometer is such a way that I get a general sense of the speed I'm going.  Never do I look at it long enough to see "gee, I'm doing 97.5 mph" sort of thing. 

On 2/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, Conserv said:

Have you actually “used up” a set of the current FF XAS’s yet?  If so, how many miles did you get out of them?  The set on my ‘76 has about 4,000 miles on it, without noticeable wear.  I can’t imagine they won’t go at least 20,000 miles, extrapolating from their current appearance.  But I’ve been wrong before!

If they, indeed, last 20,000 miles, at 2,000 miles annually on each of my ‘02’s, I’ll likely “time out” — that’s ten years for me — before I wear out any XAS.  I divide the cost by 10 years and, thereby, rationalize the cost of original tires.

I also used the "10 year" model to rationalize my XAS purchase this fall, $1194 usd for 5 tyres makes it about $10 a month.  I've only put about 400 miles on them so far, so I'll get back to you in a decade to let you know how then held up.  So far I'm very pleased, comfortable ride, excellent grip and handling.  

• Like 1

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

On 2/5/2018 at 6:10 PM, YoungWilliaM said:

I'd be interested in oem tubeless Michelin XAS 165HR13 tires.

On 2/5/2018 at 8:21 PM, Conserv said:

immediately switched to the tubeless version because, even in the late ‘70’s, when tire shops were more accustomed to tube-type tires than today, tube-type tires were a nuisance.

Other than seeming antiquated and having a tire shop look at you puzzled, is there a functional or performance issue with a tube tire?  My recently mounted Michelin XASs are the first tube tires on my BMW (I have tube tires on the Citroen).  Yes, I had to pay like $11 per tube, but other then that I only see a benefit.  My tire shop is pretty used to mounting tires on trailers and farm equipment, so they are used to tubes.  I'd be hesitant to use a shop that didn't know how to mount tubes.  My original alloy rims used to leak a bit over time, and that is now gone.  I suppose you could posit something about unsprung weight and higher reciprocating mass - but this ain't Forumula 1.  

I couldn't get the quotes from the other pages on this reply (not sure you can even do that using the "quote it" tool)  but it appears on numerous threads - people are looking for tubeless.  Perhaps I'm missing something.  

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

56 minutes ago, john02md said:

Are these Pirelli or Michelin 13s actually manufactured by Pirelli or Michelin or are they reproductions?  I was under the impression that the Michelin XAS, available in modern times, were made by Coker.

I'm glad to see interest in 13s.  I was thinking about downsizing, or correct-sizing.

See my post with photos above.  The Michelin XASs that i ordered from Longstone are "made if France".  Coker was out of stock when I ordered, but my understanding is they order them from France and do not manufacture these themselves.    

Benjamin Franklin

20 hours ago, john02md said:

John,

Coker does not make Michelins of any model or size.  Coker is a U.S. distributor of tires produced by Michelin Classic, a division of Michelin specializing in batch runs of their historic tires.  Longstone Tyre is a U.K. distributor of tires produced by Michelin Classic.  There are other distributors worldwide. This division was previously known as Michelin Passion.

Michelin has retained the original molds for these historic tires, and uses them to produce the modern versions, albeit with modern rubber compounds.  I can’t speak for other models and sizes of Michelin Classic tires, but all the examples of 165HR13 XAS’s I own were manufactured in France.

I don’t yet know Pirelli’s arrangements for producing tires such as their CN36 Cinturato’s.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

37 minutes ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

.... Yes, I had to pay like $11 per tube, but other then that I only see a benefit.  My tire shop is pretty used to mounting tires on trailers and farm equipment, so they are used to tubes.  I'd be hesitant to use a shop that didn't know how to mount tubes.  My original alloy rims used to leak a bit over time, and that is now gone.....

Good point, David.

Over the last 6 years, I’ve had to replace 3 brand new tubes because neither of the tire shops I used in Atlanta had a clue how to mount tube-type tires.  They pinched them, they twisted them, they butchered them. OK, maybe this is my problem: I’m guessing when I told both places they’d need to install tubes and both places said, “Huh?”, I should have kept looking!  ?

Next time I’m heading out to farm country!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

On 2/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, Conserv said:

Dirk,

Have you actually “used up” a set of the current FF XAS’s yet?  If so, how many miles did you get out of them?  

Certainly someone here has used up a set of modern XAS’s.

Regards,

Steve

The XAS FF is not the same tire as the XAS. Something I did not realize when I purchase my first set (DOT 3308) in 2009 fom Vintage Tyres in the UK (Coker was selling them for almost twice as much). After several road trips and driving tours with the BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club, totaling 9,000 miles, the rear tires were completely worn. I learned that the hard way by shredding one of them in pieces on the Sea-to-Sky Highway from Whistler to Vancouver. The fronts were about halfway done. I purchased two new ones (DOT 3809). The two remaining originals are pretty much done now (13,000 miles) and are showing serious signs of dry-rot and are no longer safe to use. The two 'newer' ones are still good. 

At the time (2008/2009), the 165/13 was only available in FF. Today, Michelin Classic has listed both the XAS and the XAS FF in the 165 HR 13.

I inquired with Coker for four new XAS tires and am waiting for them to confirm that these are XAS and not FF and what the DOT date is.

Michelin Classic.png

XAS Historic Competition.png

XAS FF 165R13 (DOT3308) with 19,000 km.jpg

XAS FF 165R13 (DOT3308) with 19,000 km (2).jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Dirk de Groen

'61 700 Sport - '68 1600 GT - '70 2002 ti - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Voll Cabrio - '72 2002 Targa - '72 2000 Touring tii - '73 2002 tii

1 hour ago, Dirk02 said:

The XAS FF is not the same tire as the XAS. Something I did not realize when I purchase my first set (DOT 3308) in 2009 fom Vintage Tyres in the UK (Coker was selling them for almost twice as much). After several road trips and driving tours with the BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club, totaling 9,000 miles, the rear tires were completely worn. I learned that the hard way by shredding one of them in pieces on the Sea-to-Sky Highway from Whistler to Vancouver. The fronts were about halfway done. I purchased two new ones (DOT 3809). The two remaining originals are pretty much done now (13,000 miles) and are showing serious signs of dry-rot and are no longer safe to use. The two 'newer' ones are still good. 

At the time (2008/2009), the 165/13 was only available in FF. Today, Michelin Classic has listed both the XAS and the XAS FF in the 165 HR 13.

I inquired with Coker for four new XAS tires and am waiting for them to confirm that these are XAS and not FF and what the DOT date is.

Michelin Classic.png

XAS Historic Competition.png

XAS FF 165R13 (DOT3308) with 19,000 km.jpg

XAS FF 165R13 (DOT3308) with 19,000 km (2).jpg

Thank you, Dirk,

Yes, I've seen the listings for both versions on the Michelin Classic Website, but haven't yet seen a non-FF version in modern times.

The combination of rapid wear and -- shockingly -- the dry-rotted sidewalls is obviously very concerning.

Let's hope the non-FF version appears at dealers soon. Please let us know if you locate any.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

On 2/11/2018 at 6:52 AM, j2002tii said:

Period correct in 165/80 13 or 185/70 13's are the way to go in tubeless so I am very interested.  It's hard to fit much more than a 165 in the spare tire well.  Thanks for putting this together!  jeffreymprisco@msn.com

seems like 165R13 would be best for Plain Jane Roundie stock steelies (and/or the spare) and 185/70 13's for tii stock steelies or equivalent, as they are a lil' wider

10 hours ago, Conserv said:

Thank you, Dirk,

Yes, I've seen the listings for both versions on the Michelin Classic Website, but haven't yet seen a non-FF version in modern times.

The combination of rapid wear and -- shockingly -- the dry-rotted sidewalls is obviously very concerning.

Let's hope the non-FF version appears at dealers soon. Please let us know if you locate any.

Best regards,

Steve

UPDATE: Coker just called back, and contrary to previously received information, the XAS which they are selling are of the FF (Formula France) softer competition compound.

I cancelled my order and will install the Continental EcoContact 3 165/80 R 13 83T.

These Continental Tires are not available in the US, and coming back to the purpose of Blunt's thread (Tire Group Buy), I can say that I have been using these tires on my other three 2002s for many, many miles, to my great satisfaction. They look good, are very affordable plus there is something about Continental Reifen  ... 

prima-linie-de-start-eiffelrennen-1939-in-prim-plan-dr-fritz-wer.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dirk de Groen

'61 700 Sport - '68 1600 GT - '70 2002 ti - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Voll Cabrio - '72 2002 Targa - '72 2000 Touring tii - '73 2002 tii

I'm torn between 165 and 185.

In my view, the 165s look perfect for the car, yet I intend to do a few road rallies and most of my driving is back country roads in 3rd/4th gear. As far as handing goes, how do the current offerings of 165s stack up to 185s? I'm guessing not that much difference, but I don't want to spend $400-$500 to find out. I'm currently riding on 185/70R13 Merit Metric SE-H tires. while they look awful, they do hold up well in the turns. I've decided to stick with factory wheels.

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

I'd be interested in a new set of 13" tires to fit a recently acquired/reconditioned set of BBS Mahle wheels.  

Not sure of the best dimensions needed.   Would want the tires to be more more performance and less stock oriented.  

Contact Tom at:  motoring<at>sbcglobal<dot>net