• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pirelli CN36 Cinturato Tires 185/70r/13

doza59

• 4 years later...

I’ve inquired with Longstone Tyres and they are currently unavailable?.  Thinking of going with Lucas Tires.  Anyone here recently received a shipment from either company?

Im going to mount a set of new tires to my (long in storage) tii steelies for the 69. Crappy Sumitomo tires are 7 years old on the Ronal wheels.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I just got a set from Lucas.  Super fast shipment, I think I ordered on Monday and had tires before the weekend. Car is a bit of a project so I don’t have feedback to give on road feel or handling, but they look great mounted. 

HTH

• Like 2

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

I bought a set from Lucas back in the spring, $169 apiece.  Having read through the link @AceAndrew posted, I wanted to go with the Vredestein Sprint Classic, which is the spare in my car now, but I could not find any available.  They handle fine to me and look great but what the hell do I know. 

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

This is my second year with a set and I recommend them. They are very comfortable as you would expect with a high sidewall and stick very well on dry pavement. My car is lowered and pretty stiff. I've only driven in the rain on highways where I experienced some hydroplaning but that's manageable. I expect they do well on wet secondary roads at reasonable speeds. Can't speak to the Vredesteins but I might be tempted by those if available and long wait for Pirelli.

I got a set of Vredesteins several years ago from TireRack.  Good tire but somewhat soft when compared to the CN-36's I have on my other set of wheels.  One negative on the Vredesteins is a mold "bubble/line" on all of the sidewalls.   CN36's on backorder with Longstone Tyre as of late July.

76 '02 5spd.  stage2  Kerman build

00 Z3M Coupe

10 328iT ZMP 6spd

I am very happy with the CN36's 185 x 13 on my tii and Vredesteins on the Triumph TR4a. The Vredesteins  165 x 15's on an early TR does not provide an adequate comparison for a BMW.

Edited by David Layton

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

What I’ve read in this forum, since the re-release of the Pirelli Cinturauto, is:

1.) the Vredesteins have some credible supporters, but the reviews, in general, are very mixed, and

2.) the Pirelli’s have lots of credible supporters, with fairly consistent reviews, averaging comfortably in “satisfied user” territory.

Based on that, if priced roughly similarly, I’d say that ‘02 owners are more likely to be happy with the Pirelli’s than the Vredesteins.

This assumes you are not a nut about period correctness. If you are a nut about period correctness, the Pirelli is the clear “winner” as neither the tread nor the sidewall of the Vredestein duplicates the tread or sidewall of a 1970’s Vredestein — but the Pirelli passes muster on both accounts.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

One thing to keep in mind is the wear rating of each brand of tire.  I've never seen the wear rating published for the Pirelli CN36 tires.  Having owned a set on my 73 tii, I know that they are a pretty soft compound.  That why they grip really well and are fairly quiet.  I don't daily drive that car, so I'm not too concerned about them wearing out really fast.  But, if I was planning on daily driving and putting a lot of miles on my car, I might think twice about forking out the dough for the CN36's.  Having said that, I love the way the CN36 feels and also the way they look.  I wonder how the wear rating of them compares with the other period 13" tires like the Michelin XAS or the Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet?  Does anyone know?

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

11 minutes ago, JohnS said:

One thing to keep in mind is the wear rating of each brand of tire.  I've never seen the wear rating published for the Pirelli CN36 tires.  Having owned a set on my 73 tii, I know that they are a pretty soft compound.  That why they grip really well and are fairly quiet.  I don't daily drive that car, so I'm not too concerned about them wearing out really fast.  But, if I was planning on daily driving and putting a lot of miles on my car, I might think twice about forking out the dough for the CN36's.  Having said that, I love the way the CN36 feels and also the way they look.  I wonder how the wear rating of them compares with the other period 13" tires like the Michelin XAS or the Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet?  Does anyone know?

At 2,000 miles per ‘02 annually, I often run out of time on my ‘02s’ tires before I run out of tread.

Just sayin’ … ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

At 2,000 miles per ‘02 annually, I often run out of time on my ‘02s’ tires before I run out of tread.

Just sayin’ … ?

Best regards,

Steve

Same here for me with my 73 tii.  With my 74 tii, it's a different story.  I put quite a few miles on my 74 tii annually.  I'm still considering putting the CN36's on the 74 too though...

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

No personal experience with the Michelin XAS', I have read a from a few folks that they are super soft (apparently the FF <formula france> rubber wears really quickly with 'spirited' driving).  I was curious as well with the Dunlop SP AquaJet's.