• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why-o-why did the Brits design such beautiful cars in the 50s and 60s?

H E L P

Abe, you call that ugly? I don't know man. The coupe version of one of those is just rolling art in British racing green and biscuit interior. Now,more liability wise it's a different story but design wise the Brits really designed some pretty cars. 

Proper rugged reliable car. The PI had a shit fuel pump, but that's easily replaced (ironically with a bosch unit) and the CVs on the half shafts didn't last - once again very ironic that a 'fix' is adapt an e30 BMW trailing arm rear, which is very similar in design and geometry. 

Shit management and unions killed British Leyland and now the UK produces about 1.7 million cars annually, almost everyone of them for a foreign car company. All this whilst still leading the world in motorsport and right up there with innovation. 

The USA will get the last laugh when Tesla kills off BMW!

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Because they knew  these cars had the lucas electrical system, they had to look decent in daylight because they couldnt be driven at night.  When sitting at the same stoplight for hours, they knew everyone would be looking.  more???

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Ah the TR4. Quiet the love/hate relationship I had with that car.

Back in high school, chatting with my buddy in his Alfa Giulietta Syder. I sold the TR, he kep his Alfa, and has it to this day. He counts his lucky stars that he kept it all the time!

bdozUSs.jpg

• Like 2