• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much would you pay

Guest Lalfa

I would ask the seller for more photos, before getting on a plane.

Then post them here, so we can pick on it for you. :) 

Perhaps one with the air cleaner removed?

Some from under the car?

Interior shots would be nice to see.

If it was a Japanese import, those might be the original bumpers, right?

Weren't the US cars the only ones to get sufficient bumpers?

I tried to get some more pics from the seller but he's travelling and yeah Japnese spec is similar to Euro spec so they wouldn't have the US bumpers.

$9300 and clean?  Might be worth looking at.  With all of the expert on the FAQ, I'm sure a few more horses can be packed into it!  1502Ti? :ph34r:

To put it in perspective, this is a nice clean 1502 for sale in Switzerland (where EVERYTHING is crazy expensive).  I believe the asking price is about $20,000, but I've seen it on offer for a couple of years now.

IMG_1457.thumb.JPG.7414a8401211ceaf8fdaba7d87a786fb.JPGIMG_1458.thumb.JPG.6498d74108d784f0417635049bc3500a.JPGIMG_1455.thumb.JPG.7f8646e07c1ce738f23796b14d136f05.JPGIMG_1454.thumb.JPG.26ebc7c87d9bad56cc3df62e5c30952c.JPGIMG_1459.thumb.JPG.594026844e25840b13e886eecc1a3165.JPGIMG_1456.thumb.JPG.18b4614ce009dfe0bbfa57870c23b056.JPG

• Like 1

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

We are missing the rust shots.

If the underside is pristine, undented and not too oily, it might be a fair price in this market.

The engine is bolt- identical with a 2L- the only way to know is a look at the casting

mark on the rf corner of the head.

I doubt Japanese market, tho- it's wronghand drive...

unless it was swapped.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

It is hard to put a value on such a thing, as there are few comps in these parts.  

The 1502 had about 75hp if I recall correctly, so it is pretty slow, even by 02 standards.  It has less trim - it was the "economy" choice in the line in Europe at the time.  I believe it was the last 02 variant made - meaning they still sold it overlapping w/the E21 for a short time.  Not 100% sure on that, but I think I read it in a few places.  

As a guy with a euro car, I can tell you buying certain things is harder - you have to prove you have a euro car to buy the correct parts in some cases.  Some things are going to be different than the US cars.  That engine configuration was never sold in the US, for example.  You can get the parts, but you just have to jump through some hoops due to BMW's rules on such things.  

If the car is a '76 and you live in Cali, it may have to pass smog.  I say "may" because I don't know if it is somehow exempt via being imported.  Make sure you can get the importation paperwork.  You may need it down the road.  It is tricky to get any old car to pass smog.  Lots of '76s leave Cali for this reason.  If it has to pass smog, it could literally be a deal-breaker.  

The car has been repainted, so you need to uncover why.  The body/chassis is the big thing.  Rust is a killer on these cars (any car from the '70s, really).  So our antenna go up when we see a freshly repainted car for sale.  Did they intend to hide rust long enough to move the car along?  

My take is that, as a first 02, it may not be what you want.  At that price, you could get an honest big bumper version that is in good shape.  Get a '74 or '75, so it doesn't have to pass smog.  The 1502 is certainly interesting, if only because we never got it here, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is super desirable, because it is the "econo" variant vs. a high performance variant.  If you are into having the "only one around", it would be great.  

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

First off, thank you all for taking the time to help me out with this. I appreciate your comments and insight.

Now I probably should have given you some more background. I live in the Middle East and this car was apparently imported from Japan and registered in Dubai. It is the only one available near me for sale as far as I am aware.

Now, I know that changes things dramatically but I'd still like to base my potential purchase on what similars car in other markets are fetching simply because I have no other benchmark to compare against. I have been thinking about getting an e30 for a while now but when I saw this car advertised my interest shifted. I've always digged the 2002 and it was advertised as one (not as a 1502, due to a mistake in car's registration and seller's ignorance) and so I started researching different models and buying tips etc...

Then I thought my best bet would be to reach out to the people who own these beautiful things for their first hand experiences and knowledge.

Depending on what insight I get here and through my research, I will either go for this one or, if I decide against it, just look into importing another from the States.

Looking forward to more of your input.

Bests,

L

What I know about:

1502 don't have the belt line trim (but they do have the rain gutter trim), no vent windows in the doors except when ordered with tinted glass (different door panels), no bracket for the brake fluid reservoir (installed directly upon the MC instead) and no two-line calipers.

Having a look into the engine bay:

1502JapUS.jpeg.5b54d0144cbab51bca1c147fa2ebbab3.jpeg

The word "inka" is way too short to match with the colour badge. Inka was followed by "phoenix", the change was in 76 I think.

The battery is wrong. The pins belong to the inside, not outside.

The airbox is E21, maybe E30. And there's a white/tan-ish vacuum line above the water divider 2002s don't have. So probably the engine has been swapped.

What kind of engine this is in fact can be found out by the engine number stamped into the flattened boss at the rear end of the block above the starter motor.

No LHDs in Japan? Oh, sure, sure. In Japan it's pretty chic to drive a LHD car.

What's this salad  with the additional hole in the nose next to the radiator? A Tarantula? Hm. I'd expect some more of this.

Are the side skirts below the rear bumper blacked? Why?

Gimme a break...

hen

• Like 2

3 hours ago, esty said:

both 76's that i own do

The missing VIN tags were only absent on a couple thousand ‘76 cars manufactured from February-ish to April-ish 1976.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)