• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much would you pay

Guest Lalfa

Also the tachometer is not original for 1502. It does have the single feed 2-piston calipers and lack of antiroll bar. 1502 brakes suck btw. Also the later model valve cover suggests the engine is replaced. Bottom side looks good, as much as can be seen. It's hard to judge the paintjob from poor quality pictures but I'm not convinced about it. There's parts painted that should have been removed for quality job.

It's hard to say from these pictures but I don't see this as nearly 10k car. I'd say very few 1502's are.

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Ok so I emailed BMW archives as suggested by Steve and the car's color was in fact changed! Here's what I got from them:

"Thank you for your email.

The BMW 1502 VIN 4195353 was manufactured on March 12th, 1976 and delivered on April 30th, 1976 to Japan. The original colour was Arctisblau metallic, paint code 045.

We hope this information is helpful for you."

So what do you guys think? still worth taking the trip to check this one out?

10 hours ago, NickVyse said:

LHD delivered new to Japan, that's weird.

Said before, weird but not rare at all.

I think it's worth a trip since you don't have many options there, but don't be forced to buy because of that. Go see what it is but only buy if you feel you get a good deal. Pointing out the issues you might get it for half the money advertised.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Said before, weird but not rare at all.

I understand there's a lot of LHD cars I'm just surprised they were ordered new from the factory when they could have ordered RHD?? Where's the sense in that? Assumed the LHD cars were imports, if you know what I mean.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Yea Nick, it's odd. Shame we don't have anybody from Japan on board to explain.

I just know that many bimmers (mainly later models from 2000->) are imported from Japan to Finland. All they have to do is switch the headlights to right hand traffic, that is if the model has European type approval. Availability of LHD's is vast for them all to be privately imported. From Japan you can find many special models and their mileage is often extremely low compared to other used car markets.

10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea Nick, it's odd. Shame we don't have anybody from Japan on board to explain.

I just know that many bimmers (mainly later models from 2000->) are imported from Japan to Finland. All they have to do is switch the headlights to right hand traffic, that is if the model has European type approval. Availability of LHD's is vast for them all to be privately imported. From Japan you can find many special models and their mileage is often extremely low compared to other used car markets.

that I understand, buying new not so much (RHD 1502s were still produced in '76). May be it was a bargain as BMW tried to off load them with the introduction of the e21?

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

On 2/17/2018 at 12:42 PM, Conserv said:

The missing VIN tags were only absent on a couple thousand ‘76 cars manufactured from February-ish to April-ish 1976.

Regards,

Steve

...make that at least May-ish, Steve (mine is 5/1176)

Tom

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

38 minutes ago, visionaut said:

...make that at least May-ish, Steve (mine is 5/1176)

Tom

Thanks, Tom,

I believe I need to start a thread and collect more data, so we can establish at least approximate beginning and ending dates -- with VIN's. Maybe it's more than "a couple thousand" as BMW was really cranking out U.S.-spec '02's in 1976!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)