• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Match Question

I have just purchased a 1973 2002tii in Atlantic Blau which will need some body work and a repaint.  I want to match the original BMW color, Atlantik 041. Given we will undoubtedly have to go with a base coat plus clear instead of the old lacquer, what is the best way to get the best color match with the BMW shade?  This is a couple of months in the future, but I am looking ahead.

73 BMW 2002 tii.JPG

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

Pick one you like, and shoot it!

Atlantik is hard to match, and over the years, there have been many shades made.  After the fact, of course.  Most

(like what you have now) have too much white in them.  I like it that way, so that's

what I used on mine years back.  It's supposed to be darker.  If it hasn't been shot under

the hood, that's usually still the factory shade.

it's all subjective.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You'll get a closer representation of what the factory paint looked like if you use a solid color paint (no clearcoat) for non-metallics like Atlantik.  When I had both my Sahara and Nevada cars painted, I had this discussion with my painter--and he was right. "Back in the day" they clear-coated metallics more to protect the metallic paint than for a shinier finish.  

A good paint supplier can spectrographically match your original (unfaded) Atlantik and custom mix paint that will exactly match the original paint that's (presumably) inside your trunk, door edges etc. 

Bottom line, though is that it's your car...do what makes you happy, unless you're going for an absolutely concours car.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Glasurit single stage.

Looks like a good Tii you have there.

David, please let us know where you are located, it will help us help you. Can ad your location in the user control panel at the top right.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

The 2" square piece that holds the torsion bars for the trunk lid is easy to remove (4 bolts) to take to the paint shop for laser matching. Just don't shut the trunk with the plate off.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Come see a lot of us.  Not too bad a drive from Chesterfield.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Hi David.

I’m assuming you won’t be painting the car yourself, is that correct?  If so, do some research and find a shop in your area that does good work.   You’ll be looking for a shop that does custom work.  Most large paint/body shops that do collision/insurance work won’t want any part of your project, and if they do they’ll insist on base/clear systems since that’s what they mix on site and are used to using.  

When you you find a shop, let the guy that’s doing the spraying recommend the single stage he likes to shoot.  Most all the single stage urethanes on the market from any of the major manufacturers are really durable and last a long time.  Everyone who paints has their favorite to shoot.  It’s generally best to let the painter you choose make a recommendation from the line offered by the brand he likes.   

I have used the small bar that attaches to the trunk torsion rod, remove one bolt and you’re good.  Just don’t let the trunk lid hit you in the head! The painter you use will determine what brand of paint he is comfortable with in ost cases.

My NK is Atlantik, I love it.

Edited by HBChris

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Ah yes, the painter, an artist with a gun. The hard part is finding a hired gun who is comfortable with single stage. A rare find and tho I have found two painters who I will let paint my car only one will deal single. You see a single stage painter has to have a set, no room for error, unlike a two stage painter who can cover many mistakes. But when the single stage is nailed you have a work of art. Nothing finer. My 76 Golfie  has 40 year old original paint and shines like a diamond. Lots of dings and I will find that painter that will use the original Glasurite paint and create a masterpiece. 

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I chose Glazurit single stage for my 2000CS resto... it's expensive but it's working out nicely. 

IMG_9407.thumb.JPG.28957759d7a4372d7a08d0671ed5ebe4.JPG

IMG_9408.thumb.JPG.8118fad6343e6ea7b98df7119b4c7bb8.JPG

Hood shot and color sanded yesterday 

Ed

• Like 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

A good paint supplier can spectrographically match your original (unfaded) Atlantik and custom mix paint that will exactly match the original paint 

...and yet, it will inevitably match light, as in, too much white.  The 'shoot and match' systems are imperfect, at best.

A shop with someone who's comfortable doing a real match (measure, mix, test shoot) will be expensive- and that's about the only way to get it 'original',

IF the GM code doesn't match.  It's surprising how often they do.

Single stage is easy to shoot.  It just takes more effort for a lesser result.  And done right, it's very hard to tell single from 2- stage.

In fact, in most shops, they'll do a quick sand (the only way to be sure) first, just to make sure what system they're looking at.

I learned on single, and shot many cars that way.  Then I tried 2- stage.  I won't go back.  Sand and polish the clear, and the only

way you can tell the difference is from the defects.

With good paint in both cases, of course.

The usual deal is that the single is $300 of materials, the 2 stage is $1500.  Of COURSE those look different!!!

t

not your grandaddy's delstar

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

4 minutes ago, TobyB said:

The usual deal is that the single is $300 of materials, the 2 stage is $1500.

To be clear... Glazurit single stage will NOT be $300... unfortunately 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

TobyB isn't giving you the full story.  

If the guy that does the cut and buff on the base/clear system does even a half way decent job there won't be any defects!  It'll look smooth as glass.  

I don't mind dealing with a single stage job, I tend to try and talk the owner of the car into a "straight out of the gun, no detail work" expectation of what he's gonna get back.  Color sanding and buffing single stage takes a lot more work and can be frustrating.  

Zinz is right too BTW.  Glasurit WILL NOT be $300.