• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rain Gutter Trim @ 'B' Pillar

markmac

I am fitting up new B pillar trim as well as the trim at the rear quarter window.  I in order to make trim holes and the holes line up on the B pillar for the rivets, had to flat file some of the top edge of the trim down (not much, just enough to make it work).  I haven't purchased the rain gutter trim (yet), my trim is tight up against the steel where the rain gutter attaches - question is if there needs to be space there to allow the rain gutter trim to attach (I haven't been able to find a good enough picture (yet) in order to tell for sure.  I would rather make the adjustment now if I need to rather than finish the rivets off and have to drill them out.  Handling these trim pieces is brutal, the stuff almost scratches just looking at it (almost).

Yes there needs to be space between B trim and rain gutter trim.  I had this problem also with new B pillar trim on my driver's side.  I took a piece of old rain gutter trim and used to mark the trim line on B pillar trim.  Easier to do before you get everything together ask me how I know.

Jack

It makes sense, I thought so.  Something inherently wrong with taking a flat file to a new piece of trim, but then it is what it is.  I would love to get these two pieces of trim on this weekend, if any one knows how much space is needed there feel free to chime in.  Tx

When I did the same job on my '69, I reused both B pillar and rain gutter trim and everything fit together just fine.  If you'd like a copy of the column I wrote on exterior trim install, PM me.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My '73 is almost ready for paint, with the rain gutter trim removed.  Here are some pix of the gap, one from each side.  The gap between the B-pillar trim and the bottom of the roof measures 1/16". 

008.JPG

010.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, markmac said:

I am fitting up new B pillar trim as well as the trim at the rear quarter window.  I in order to make trim holes and the holes line up on the B pillar for the rivets, had to flat file some of the top edge of the trim down (not much, just enough to make it work).  I haven't purchased the rain gutter trim (yet), my trim is tight up against the steel where the rain gutter attaches - question is if there needs to be space there to allow the rain gutter trim to attach (I haven't been able to find a good enough picture (yet) in order to tell for sure.  I would rather make the adjustment now if I need to rather than finish the rivets off and have to drill them out.  Handling these trim pieces is brutal, the stuff almost scratches just looking at it (almost).

Maybe you ended up with NLA Touring B-Pillar trim; it's about 3/8" taller (longer).

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I suppose it could be (touring) though I don't think so, I have taken some off of it to make it fit, but not that much.  Of course the 'right' way to do it would be to fit that drip rail trim first, since I don't have it....not super high on my purchase list currently, the pictures will do nicely.  Thank you.  Those are perfect, just what I was hoping for.  Right now my trim is hard up against the steel so I have some trimmin to do.

Measure & mark three time, then clamp it and fire up the angle grinder, makes you feel like a stud when you nail it. Could send pics if you want to know why I know this. ?

• Like 1

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way