• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$40K driver 2002 at RM Amelia

dbower

1 hour ago, mike said:

I suspect that Euro cars have plain dashes, as there were be too many language variants.  And the dash on the Amelia Island car doesn't have the "fasten seat belts" sign atop the dash, so it may be a replacement Euro dash.

I think you're right.  The dash I am hording also does not have a "fasten seat belt" sign.  It does, although, have the recesses on the backside for a clock.  I hope to use it someday in my tii and I will cut a hole for the clock and add stenciled letters to the binnacle.  A future challenge once I find a perfect lower dash tray.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Yep, UK cars didn't have the little writing all over the dash. We were also slow to get warnings like 'caution, filling might be hot' when buying something very hot, but now we're treated like idiots too. 

That's a nice daily driver modded 02 for yesterdays Tii money, things are moving pretty quick. And they may have missed the black paint on the bonnet supports but they managed to slap it all over the sills ("rockers, caution may contain rust")

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

8 hours ago, mike said:

When the factory changed from the small diameter pictograph knobs to the large plain ones, at least for US cars they silk-screened names on the instrument binnacle for each of the four knobs.  My '72 US sales literature shows those silk-screened names, and my '73 car has 'em.  I suspect that Euro cars have plain dashes, as there were be too many language variants.  And the dash on the Amelia Island car doesn't have the "fasten seat belts" sign atop the dash, so it may be a replacement Euro dash.

mike

you're correct about Eurospec cars having plain dashes as they we produced for a large range of different speaking countries. 

3 minutes ago, larryt said:

you're correct about Eurospec cars having plain dashes as they we produced for a large range of different speaking countries. 

I don't believe that had anything to do with it, most the of the RHD markets are english speaking (UK, Oz, SA). It's an american legal thing "But officer I had to crash I was trying to light my cigarette but kept turning the wipers on whilst changing gear". UK and the rest of the world were way behind the litigious US society.

• Like 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

17 hours ago, Road trip said:

...my all original 72 has red center tail lights....

Is your ‘72 a U.S.-spec car?  Are you the original owner?  If (a.) it is a U.S.-spec car built after January 1, 1970, (b.) you are the original owner, and (c.) your dealer delivered it to you with red-center taillights, some shenanigans happened between the car clearing U.S. Customs and its delivery to you, as those taillights were no longer legal on new cars.

The actual red-to-amber changeover was probably prior to January 1, 1970 — the U.S. DOT’s mandatory-changeover date — early in the 1970 model year.  I still have the original taillights from my very early 1970 (VIN 1668093, manufactured September 8, 1969).  They are red-center lights and stamped with an August 13, 1969 manufacturing date (shown below).

The reason I still own these lamps is because I swapped them out, ca. 1974, in favor of amber-center taillights from a 1972 tii I parted out, so my 1970 would look more “modern”.  My poor 1970, thus, went to the grave wearing amber-center taillights....

Regards,

Steve

EF7165FF-7768-44D3-948D-7230D926AC1A.jpeg

18DC6ACB-8AA2-4EF0-8C16-65A6A152A6B7.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, NickVyse said:

I don't believe that had anything to do with it, most the of the RHD markets are english speaking (UK, Oz, SA). It's an american legal thing "But officer I had to crash I was trying to light my cigarette but kept turning the wipers on whilst changing gear". UK and the rest of the world were way behind the litigious US society.

+1

Agreed.  It was a U.S. DOT requirement.

Best regards,

Steve

15 hours ago, Road trip said:

....why do you think the hood supports

should be black ?

With the exception of Schwarz cars, and possibly some other very dark colors, e.g., Atlantik, the hood supports behind the front grilles were (sloppily) brush-painted black at the factory so that they would not be visible through the grilles.  I’ve now seen a few examples — that also appear to be original — where the factory’s black paint was considerably more than just the hood supports.  These examples, however, seem to represent a minority.

Regards,

Steve

My June '72 euro car doesn't have writing on the dash near the controls.  So I have no idea what any of those four things do.  

It doesn't have the "fasten seat belt" thing on the dash, either.  Just a crack.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Car was owned by JackF on this board, so maybe he will chime in where the apparent Euro dash came from.

The car sold for $38,500 in an RM Auction in Detroit back in 2015.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, saaron said:

My June '72 euro car doesn't have writing on the dash near the controls.  So I have no idea what any of those four things do.  

It doesn't have the "fasten seat belt" thing on the dash, either.  Just a crack.

Scott

The dash and knobs I sourced for a 'euro' build '74 Tii (no seatbelt light, either).

euro-dash-knobs.jpg

4 hours ago, NYNick said:

Unless you're trying to win the local concours or Pebble Beach, why would anyone care about the color of the hood supports?

Because, Nick, the supports are quite visible through the grille if your car’s body color is something other than black. Stated differently, body-colored hood supports undermine the appearance of the grilles and front end by becoming a distraction.  BMW noted this from the outset and slapped black paint on ‘02’s hood supports, so as not to detract from their design intent.

Enlarge the two photos attached.  The first photo, (A.), shows my ‘76 with no black paint applied behind the grille.  The second photo, (B.), shows my ‘76 with hood supports and grille mounting tabs blacked out.  Choose the look you prefer: (A.) or (B.)....?

Best regards,

Steve

9497F38F-3330-4DBA-8291-CAEE0FF91AC5.jpeg

78E6F453-2834-4858-B396-319CCE1A5999.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

Yeah, once you start noticing it, it’s really obvious.  Even on a daily driver like mine, it stood out real bad after my repaint.  Most every 02 you see though has them painted black,  so you don’t see it much.  But take a look at this....

1B4B6D87-4199-4AA1-B0EC-FA835CFC22FE.jpeg

• Like 6

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser