• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introduction >> New 2002 Owner

Hi All!

My name is Rich Elliott and I'm a new owner of a couple 02's!  My Dad had one when I was a kid and I have many fond memories of his white 1968 2002!  As an adult I finally got on the band wagon recently.  Two weeks ago, I answered this CraigsList ad and pickup up this little beauty for $800... (Thanks Lars!)

http://www.activatecommerce.com/bmw/CraigsAd.pdf

No engine, no transmission, no problem!

It's a 1970 2002 missing the round tail lights.  Apparently, someone at some point thought the rectangular ones were better.  It's definitely a 1970 though.  1970 two piece dash board, vin and vin plates match up and look authentic with no hacking of the metal or strut towers.  Oh yeah, it has an Ireland Engineering Stage 2 suspension setup too.

bmw-0002.jpg

The guy I bought it from wasn't home when I went to pick it up, so I had to roll it down his driveway and load it up on the towing dolly by myself!  Adding to the fun, it was freezing cold!
Yes, that's snow on my (new to me) '02!  

bmw-0001.jpg

After getting it loaded on the tow dolly.

bmw-0003.jpg

Made it safe and sound to my place!

The car is kind of a basket case, but the bones are solid.  Floor boards solid, rockers are solid, spare tire and trunk metal are solid.  It jacks up fine on all four corners, minimal surface rust on a few items underneath, but nothing too bad.  The main issues are rear tail lights and a few pin hole rust spots in the roof, just behind the sun roof.  I found some rust behind the driver's side front wheel in the wheel well that does not go through to the cabin, but will need to be repaired.

A week later I was on the hunt for an engine and transmission... picked pick up another '02 in San Francisco!  My girlfriend and I drove it up a week ago, and it was quite the event.  While we did make it without breaking down, the cabin heater wasn't working all that great and the windows were leaking tons of air and it was cold!  The one we drove up from California is the red one in the pic below...

bmw-0004b.jpg

So the red one is a rust bucket from 1976. The rust is really bad.  Rocker panels, everything.  Rust falls off the car when you close the door.  Body flexes when going over a speed bump or pot hole.  It's days are numbered.  

My plan is swap over the engine and transmission into my white 1970 car.  I'll also grab any needed sunroof parts from the perfectly working sunroof, all of the trim, maybe the trunk lid, and then part it out or sell it on CraigsList.  I might end up just bringing it to Pick and Pull for whatever I can get.  One nice thing about this plan is that 1975 and older cars in Oregon (where I live) don't need too worry about emissions testing.

Thanks to everyone who maintains and supports this forum with content!  I'm sure I'll be posting a ton of questions in the near future.

Rich

• Like 8

Rich Elliott >> 1970 BMW 2002 >> a.k.a. LowKeyBuilds

>> CLICK HERE to check out and subscribe my build progress on YouTube! 

>> CLICK HERE to check out and follow my build on Instagram!

lowkey-60.png.f37d29a345edd0b40683374af6de942c.png

Nice grab on the 70, you will need the center piece of the rear trunk, the fenders have the roundie holes on either year. Good luck on build and where in Oregon Territory are you? Im in Siskiyou county California , hope to see you on the road soon.

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Thanks!  I'm in the Portland area (Tigard).  I have a question about my new Weber carb that I just bought, but I think I'll start a new post with pics sometime tomorrow.

Very cool, I used to live near Mt. Tabor.  

In regards to questions, we are more than happy to help.  Just note that we tend to be a bit more "teach a man to fish" than some other places.  Most questions have been answered, so certainly do a good search and you may be surprised.

Sounds like your girlfriend is a keeper if she's supporting you on this!

Hoping you might be in Ashland, there are no o2s in my neighborhood. In 7 years I've found 3 and bought 2, oh and a 2000 four door orphan. Know a little about trunks as I just finished replacing my whole trunk on my 1600 Tortuga Taxi's arse, 3 year project. The good part, she went from a Rosanne Barr lumpy crooked ugly butt to a Petra Nemacova bikini cover shot?

Welcome to the board, you will get all the help you need here, cheers. Dave

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Nice scores!  And the deep garage for both creates some envy in me. 

And not to sound too vultureous (a word?), if you want to start the part-out to finance the rehab.. PM me if the rear view mirror in the red one is clear and you are willing to sell it. 

Have fun and make a giant long list ?

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

This might be the best time to paint the white one - before swapping in the guts of the red dog

welcome !

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Welcome to the madhouse. 

You need to get to know Connor Elkington at Vintage Autobahn... he's 7 miles from you in Sherwood.  https://vintageautobahn.wordpress.com/

Ed Z

BTW... you have two 2002s yet your avatar is a.... well, it's not a 2002.  Jus' sayin'  <_<

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Thanks everyone!  I'm looking forward to having fun with my new toys!  The garage looks big, but it's really not that big.  Both cars just barely fit.  I think I'll be moving the guts over so I can 86 the red one sooner rather than later to have more room in my garage.  More updates / posts to come!

Welcome (back) to the '02 fraternity/sorority!  Nice score on the two cars, especially an unrusted '70...  

When you start messing with those pinholes around the sunroof, PM me; I did a column about the causes of that particular problem and how to fix it; I'll be happy to send you a copy.

I'm sure there are plenty of 02ers in the Northwest who will jump at pieces of your red car when you go to part it, so offer parts up on the FAQ before you take it to its "final reward".

cheers

mike 

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite