• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There are parts in ym gas tank, where are they from? PArt of

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The conical spring is probably left over from the fuel shortage days--you stuck it in the filler pipe and it kept people from sticking a siphon hose in to suck your gas out (so to speak!) PO probably didn't realize it wouldn't stay put in the rubber connector used on a 2002.

If you take the tank out to clean it, replace original foam on mounting lip with closed cell foam (weatherstripping--get from Lowes, hardware store, Home Depot. If you use sealer from a tube, you'll have trouble getting the tank out again.

The extra "pickup" pipe on the tank is probably the fuel/vapor return line as used on the cars with vapor recovery systems. If the grey plastic tank has been removed from the trunk, that return line was (properly) plugged up. Otherwise, the tank can siphon.

Hope this helps. At least you've discovered that clanking coming from the trunk!

Cheers

Mike

'69 Nevada

'73 Sahara

Guest Anonymous

Well yesterday I found out the hard way that my fuel gauge doesn't work and while I was looking in the tank with the sender out I noticed some parts in there, there was a screen (which I knew about from a sender) and a big conical spring which I didn't know about. Anyone know where these could be from? Someone put them in there or are they part of something in the tank? I should take the tank out anyway to check the seal thing underneath and clean it all up, what was that foam everyone seems to recommend for the new seal under the tank? And I go on; do I have a non-original tank? It's a '72 non-tii but the tank has to spots to hook up fuel lines, one on the sender and one just on the top of the tank with some line on and a plug, anyone know what this is, is it normal? Thanks everyone.

Guest Anonymous

Well some of that helps, thanks. Still not sure about the extra line, I have a vapor return line but it goes to the little tank in the trunk, does this make sense? Does this mean I can remove that tank and hook the line up to the tank instead?

Any closed cell foam weather stripping will work?

Guest Anonymous

If my memory serves me, (my vapor recovery system is long gone)the grey plastic canister in the trunk has an inlet line from the front of the car that carries vapor into the canister where it condenses and flows out of the canister and back into the gas tank thru another hose.

As for the weatherstripping--most any will do--if you get some with sticky backing it'll stay in place while you reinstall the gas tank. It should be about 1/2 -3/4 inch wide, and thick enough so that the two surfaces will seal properly.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I did away with mine years ago. If you decide to do so, just make sure you vent your gas tank somewhere. Otherwise you'll create a vacuum when you draw fuel out and the fuel pump won't be able to draw against the vacuum.

To create the vent, you can get the rubber gas tank filler pipe from a pre-canister car--it has a vent pipe that runs down thru the trunk floor and vents to the atmosphere. Or, you can run a vent line from the "extra" pipe on top of your gas tank. If you do this, make sure and loop it up several inches above the gas tank to prevent siphoning. You can put your loop behind the reinforcement that supports the trunk latch, then run the vent hose (use clear flexible plastic--it's not under pressure) down thru the trunk floor. Just make sure it doesn't end up above the muffler or exhaust pipe!

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

On the vapor recovery Mike has it running backwards the vent hose on the rubber filler runs to the gray tank then up to a charcoal canister under the hood that holds the vapors until the vaccume from the carb can suck them in and burn them. To vent the tank run a line from rubber boot connection to the out side of the trunk by drilling a small hole. The second pipe out of the tank is for a fuel return line from the carb....Marty....

Guest Anonymous

Do I need the vapor collector? Can I just run the line straight back to the tank, or maybe just eliminate it all together? I don't seem to have an out on my vapor tank thing, just the in (will check tomorrow for sure, pretty sure this is the case though).