• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40 DFAV Idle Return Adjustment?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi All-

Problem is a brand new 40 DFAV does not return to idle at all well. I have double return springs on the original ball joint linkage, pedal rod is disconnected to take it out of the binding equation, and it still takes a firm twist by hand to fully return it to idle.

What am I missing? Is there an adjustment somewhere within the carb that will solve this?

Thanks,

Chris Peterson

Las Vegas

76 '02, M-Prepared Racer almost there......

Guest Anonymous

I had similiar problems, with my 40 DFAV. Check that you haven't torqued it onto the intake manifold too tightly. Use new nylock nuts and _gently_ tighten them.

Check you're not hanging up at the choke. My choke plate arm was binding up on the water linkage. If you've pitched the cotter key, make certain you have something in there to keep the linkage in place.

What jetting are you running?? I've read the Braden book at least 10 times and it just doesn't seem to work that way for me. I'm running 175 mains, 175 air corrections, 55 idles and F2 emulsions. My O2 meter says I'm still running a bit rich.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

and it is reading about 800 mV under reasonable load conditions and at WOT. "ideal" is about 650-700 mV, Go figure. . .

I'm going to try a 170 next, just for shits and giggles. What I probably really need to play with is the emulsion tubes, but #1 they're expensive ($18 each) and #2 there is no pattern, rhyme or reason to the numbering scheme.

Regards,

John N.