• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great drive, and a scary oil leak

kaptanoglu

I had a great time on Terry Sayther’s spring ‘02berfest, though I had to wait til Friday afternoon to go up. Earlier in the week, I THOUGHT id found the cause of a slow oil leak (1/2 qt every 400 miles or so), by slightly tightening the kfish oil line to the oil filter housing.

On the drive up, I had a very spirited drive (cool weather, freshly adjusted valves.....giddy up!). After that drive and about 50 miles of Terry’s drive we found a POOL of oil under there. Brandon from Terry’s shop blasted it with Brakleen, but we couldn’t really nail down the source. Paul from the shop spotted me TWO qts,  I suspect I had been leaking for awhile, but the puddle had me terrified. I ended up getting home, checking frequently, and leaking about 1/2 qt every 100 miles...though I didn’t slow down (cool weather, freshly adjusted valves......). 

Earlier today, I blasted the spot with Brakleen and a jillion lumens from a good light, and it is coming from the back side of the lower fitting of the oil line. I have one on order from Rogerstii, and hope to have it dry in the next couple days. 

I’ll post pics when I swap it out. 

I had a blast on the drive, an am sorry I had to bail early, but didn’t want to be rolling in a dodgy car after dark. 

• Like 1

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

Years ago I had the same terror:  I was on the Kern River, about 200 miles from home, big oil puddle under the car.  Turns out that the black oil hose itself had a hole in it, on the backside so you couldn't see it.  Vibration/rubbing against the KF body had worn the hole.

Got home safely, but plenty nervous.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 1

Mike S says that's how you get a free undercoating job on a BMW.  Plus nobody parks in your spot because they don't want oil on their shoes:D

• Haha 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

John glad you make it home with out any more problems, Terry sure knows how to put the spirited in a drive...what a great weekend a good time was had by all.

1812CE04-4C06-4A4B-961F-A0080A5D3F29.jpeg

B22790A4-012A-4F38-B12C-1F04FBA4BB2C.jpeg

• Like 2

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

30 minutes ago, BarneyT said:

John glad you make it home with out any more problems, Terry sure knows how to put the spirited in a drive...what a great weekend aimageproxy.php?img=&key=c723ef59fd17d18f good time was had by all.

1812CE04-4C06-4A4B-961F-A0080A5D3F29.jpeg

B22790A4-012A-4F38-B12C-1F04FBA4BB2C.jpeg

Hey! There is visual proof that my car does not smoke ALL the time. Great picture. I think I have another 50,000 miles in That motor. 

• Like 2

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

1 hour ago, darrinm1 said:

Hey! There is visual proof that my car does not smoke ALL the time. Great picture. I think I have another 50,000 miles in That motor. 

Dude, your car does smoke quite a bit when you chop the throttle.  I was mosquito-free behind you.

• Like 1

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

3 hours ago, ray_ said:

Odd that a 4 year old line would break.

?

Cheers,

Odd, indeed.  I'm just glad that I have not yet been stranded by this. 

Interestingly, though, the engine rebuild was not done by the resto shop (the one without any Loctite in their whole shop), though they did take off and refit the KFish for its second rebuild.

Edited by kaptanoglu
Add more info

On 3/26/2018 at 10:51 AM, darrinm1 said:

Further proof Darrin!  ?

20180322_134359~3.jpg

• Haha 1

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968