• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick question regarding my front Euro bumper conversion kit

Hey folks I had a couple questions regarding my conversion and I wondered if you wouldn't mind giving me some feedback. I've removed the front diving board bumper and assessing the conversion now, and there are a couple things that I just want to make sure of. First of all regarding the bracket placement inside the rails, do they go on the outside portion facing the tire, or to the inside portion facing the motor? Reason I ask is when I look at the labeled covering plates they seem to line up more with the outside then with the inside if they are going to cover the holes completely. I hope that makes sense. Also, if they do go on the outside it appears that there is a metal panel inside the fender well of my 1976 that prevents my ability to get to the frontmost point on the rail to drill. How did you end up dealing with that? Driver side shown in pictures)-

0330181527a.jpg

0330181527b.jpg

0330181530.jpg

Edited by RenaissanceMan

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

To answer your question, the brackets for your chrome bumpers go on the outside (wheel well side) of the frame rails.  

Are you mounting your chrome bumpers at the same height as the old aluminum ones?  If you are, they will be a couple of inches higher than the Euro chrome bumpers would have been placed.  Best thing to do is look at a chrome bumper roundie and either take measurements or make a paper template to locate exactly where those new bumper bracket slots should go.  And while you're at it, take measurements of the distance between the back side of the nose panel and where the forward-most mounting bolt is located, so you'll know where to drill the holes.  

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

53 minutes ago, mike said:

To answer your question, the brackets for your chrome bumpers go on the outside (wheel well side) of the frame rails.  

Are you mounting your chrome bumpers at the same height as the old aluminum ones?  If you are, they will be a couple of inches higher than the Euro chrome bumpers would have been placed.  Best thing to do is look at a chrome bumper roundie and either take measurements or make a paper template to locate exactly where those new bumper bracket slots should go.  And while you're at it, take measurements of the distance between the back side of the nose panel and where the forward-most mounting bolt is located, so you'll know where to drill the holes.  

mike 

I am wanting to mount at the original Euro height. The kit did come with a drilling template. I just need to figure out where it's supposed to line up. Awaiting instructions from the remember who put this kit together for me, but thought I would try to get a head start. What is the best way to get to the front of the rail to be able to drill there? As I mentioned before there is a metal panel inside the wheel well that is obstructing my access to it. Any suggestions?

0330181652.jpg

Edited by RenaissanceMan

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

This may not be of any help, but, here's a pic of my Touring showing the original holes (well, actually, bolts in the holes) & the end of the bumper mtg bracket. Hopefully it gives you an idea of the location area.

It looks like there's a depression on the side of your frame rail where one of the original holes may have been welded up?

DSCN2742sm.thumb.JPG.4424b8702534bf726ace128d15280e1a.JPG

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

16 minutes ago, 02Les said:

This may not be of any help, but, here's a pic of my Touring showing the original holes (well, actually, bolts in the holes) & the end of the bumper mtg bracket. Hopefully it gives you an idea of the location area.

It looks like there's a depression on the side of your frame rail where one of the original holes may have been welded up?

DSCN2742sm.thumb.JPG.4424b8702534bf726ace128d15280e1a.JPG

Thanks for the picture. Yeah I figured out where those holes should be, but the concern right now is how to access the front one. The holes on mine were apparently welded by the factory on the newer cars since they wouldn't be utilizing those mounting points. That's why I have to do some drilling. Just want to make sure I'm drilling in exactly the right places! :-) I just can't figure out how to get to the front  drilling Point without cutting out  that metal  shield inside the wheel well.

Adam in Nashville

Looks like you have Rey's bumper kit? I installed it on my 75. The filler piece with the slot is effectively the template for cutting the new holes. Place the top of it at the top of the existing holes and mark the outline. It's too high in your photo. The bumper bracket slides through the inside of the existing original tubes below the added safety bumper tubes. Forget the sliding bolt attachment points. They don't come into play here. After you cut out the new bigger rectangular holes in the valance the template situation for new bolt holes should become clearer. Nothing should be in the way. The brackets may seem too wide for the new valance holes at first but they do fit. Start them loosely. You have to weld the new nuts to the bumper brackets as you have no access to them once slid into the original chrome bumper shafts. It becomes clearer as you go along.

Thanks so much for the feedback. My buddy brought his 73 over to the house and I was able to take measurements and double check attachment points. Looks like I should be good to go. Just need to now cut the sheet metal on the front valance to allow test fitment of the brackets in the proper location. Rey's kit is really nice. 

Adam in Nashville

13 minutes ago, dirving said:

Looks like you have Rey's bumper kit? I installed it on my 75. The filler piece with the slot is effectively the template for cutting the new holes. Place the top of it at the top of the existing holes and mark the outline. It's too high in your photo. The bumper bracket slides through the inside of the existing original tubes below the added safety bumper tubes. Forget the sliding bolt attachment points. They don't come into play here. After you cut out the new bigger rectangular holes in the valance the template situation for new bolt holes should become clearer. Nothing should be in the way. The brackets may seem too wide for the new valance holes at first but they do fit. Start them loosely. You have to weld the new nuts to the bumper brackets as you have no access to them once slid into the original chrome bumper shafts. It becomes clearer as you go along.

Very helpful, thanks!

Adam in Nashville

Progress!!!!

Did a test fitment and I'm very happy with the results so far. Obviously I will be cutting away more to allow for the fitment and welding of the cover plates in Rey's kit, but I wanted to first see how it was coming together. Getting super excited.

0401181945a.jpg

0401182001.jpg

0401182007.jpg

Adam in Nashville