• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help I.D. a 2002 or 1600?

Guest fvhr

I have recently come into possession of a late 60's early 70's BMW either 1600 or 2002 convertible. In order to get a title for it I need to confirm just exactly what I have. Can anyone guide me to an accurate web site or thread here that would help me to identify it? Or perhaps tell me what info you need from me to ID it? The car was in the middle of a restoration and ALL the VIN tags are gone (engine compartment and dash) and the passenger side front fender is a replacement so no stamping. If there's any other locations I can look for a VIN please advise?

Also, we are pretty confident that the engine we got with it isn't the correct engine but it's number is 1614372. I "think" that would indicate the engine is a 1968? But I'm fairly sure the car itself is a 1970 or 1972 but I have read sooooo much conflicting information I'm at a loss. I'll be more than happy to take any pics that might help? Thanks in advance for any info!!!

Except he has no fender VIN stamp, VIN plate or anything else.  Does this car have a title?

Edited by HBChris

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

3 minutes ago, HBChris said:

Except he has no fender VIN stamp, VIN plate or anything else.  Does this car have a title?

Hmm, ok. But the stamp area is not part of a typical replacement fender. It's on the cowl where the hood rod attaches....

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Engine number 1614372 was originally installed in a Euro-spec 2002 manufactured sometime in the 1968 calendar year.  An accurate and dependable, but non-date-specific, VIN decoder for 2002’s is the website offered by the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia.

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/servicios.php#Como

There will likely be a casting date on the engine block and head:

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

Hmm, ok. But the stamp area is not part of a typical replacement fender. It's on the cowl where the hood rod attaches....

I certainly agree with this and Chris’s comment. The true “chassis VIN” is stamped into the right inner fender. The outer fender is frequently replaced due to rust or wreck, but in 45 years as an ‘02 owner, I have never seen an ‘02 for which the rear end (cowl end) of the right inner fender was replaced and the VIN stamp had thus entirely disappeared.

To require a brand-new, never-been-stamped, right inner fender, you would probably be looking at a car that was rusted or wrecked beyond repair — for instance, my long-departed ‘70, first photo below, would have needed a new right inner fender!  It went to the crusher.

Surely if someone were restoring a cabriolet sufficiently rusted or wrecked to justify the replacement of the entire right inner fender, they would transfer the original chassis stamp to the new component.

Are you absolutely certain you are examining the right location? Is there any possibility that paint — or even body bondo — has filled in the chassis number? The second and third photos below show the chassis VIN’s on my ‘76 and ‘73.

Don’t pay cabriolet prices for a car that cannot be verified by the factory as a cabriolet. Without a cabriolet VIN, It’s just a 2002 with its roof hacked off!

Regards,

Steve

B2451D38-A6E8-4F5D-8D81-4F458336A5E3.jpeg

71C046DF-4DA5-420E-A95C-6E8F87B4456F.jpeg

5E0B70FB-D701-46E8-B129-E45C1AA74A7B.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

LOTS of ‘02 components are dated.  If you find enough of these, you can develop a pretty good picture of the car’s origin date.

Engine block

Engine head

Radiators

Transmission (inside bellhousing)

Differential (casting dates on housing and rear cover)

Stub axles were date stamped, at least in later years

Instruments and instrument cluster were dated

Round taillights were frequently dated

Front turn signals were frequently dated

Seat belts were generally dated

Front seats were generally dated

Steel rims

Lots more that I just can’t remember now!

In addition to these explicit dates, there were constant “improvements” and changes in ‘02 features that allow us to approximate dates for many features, such as long-neck differentials, which ended in January 1969, with VIN 1664750.  Dashboards, steering wheels, instrument faces, lots of items can tip one off!

If we saw sufficient photos, we could probably tell you whether your car is a 1968, or a 1971....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

"Real" 1600 cabriolets have VINs between 1557001 and 1558892; "real" 2002 cabriolets VINs are between 2790001 and 2790200.

Check the engine number; if it's the original engine it should match those VIN runs.  

Be advised that there's a company in the Netherlands that makes a cabriolet conversion for a regular 1600/1800/2002   sedan, but it will have the taller sedan windshield and opening front vent windows (real cabrios have small, fixed vent windows).

A lack of a VIN plate or the inner fender stamping raises warning flags.  There won't be a VIN plate on the steering column as that was a US thing only, and neither cabrio was made as a US model (Carl Nelson's cabrio excepted).

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

I certainly agree with this and Chris’s comment. The true “chassis VIN” is stamped into the right inner fender. The outer fender is frequently replaced due to rust or wreck, but in 45 years as an ‘02 owner, I have never seen an ‘02 for which the rear end (cowl end) of the right inner fender was replaced and the VIN stamp had thus entirely disappeared.

To require a brand-new, never-been-stamped, right inner fender, you would probably be looking at a car that was rusted or wrecked beyond repair — for instance, my long-departed ‘70, first photo below, would have needed a new right inner fender!  It went to the crusher.

I came across a tii with a “replaced” inner fender with no vin. The car held a salvage title. But it had all the Tii bits even the notched firewall piece,  etc.

I ended up passing on it. Seemed to suspect. The car definitely scooted along though! 

• Like 1

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

An early 1600 Cabrio (up to early 1970) will have inner fenders styled like this one:-

Early.thumb.jpg.2e10facbf579aae490ac5a8ca9e8fb61.jpg

Later Cabrios (last few 1600s & the 2002 Cabrios - from early 1970) have the added "crumple zones" on the inner fender, like this:

late.jpg.75bf10ad32edf24ac8f6501065232b87.jpg

This may narrow down your year question, and, as others have said, the VIN should be stamped into  the inner passenger fender (if the inner fender has been replaced/removed you may be wise to give the car back to the Seller)

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17