• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help I.D. a 2002 or 1600?

Guest fvhr

Thank you.  Excellent sleuthing and follow-up!

Now unless someone can find the original VIN tag and re-install it, how is this poor thing going to get titled with its original VIN?  Most states will want to assign a new VIN to it...?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 years later...
On 4/7/2018 at 12:42 PM, FunElan said:

UPDATE: Just met OP (Matt) and saw the car with Ben Thongsai and Chuck (Mack on the board). It is indeed a legitimate 1600 cabriolet. Boxing on the kickpanels and trunk that only a cab would have. It has almost all new sheet metal with stickers from BMW still there - including the front clip. The nose panel (new) is from a roundie but it's 74+ behind until the firewall/windshield (since that's what the newest design was when replacements were ordered). That's why there is no VIN stamped into the right inner fender. The VIN plate wasn't riveted into the new metal and very may well be inside the car somewhere, but 1557264 is definitely the VIN for the car - Ben noticed some original Polaris paint still on the windshield frame. The left rear quarter panel was replaced with one from a targa car and the targa part was cut off.

Many original parts are in the car - cabriolet specific seats, early dash, glovebox (locking), cab specific sunvisors, windows (including the vent windows that don't rotate). It does need a backseat. The motor is a 2.0L from a euro '68 and used to be installed in the car it seems, since mechanical clutch linkage is present. Smooth case transmission and long neck diff were in the trunk also. 

Now it's up to OP to decide if he wants to take on the project and make a fun car for someone or unload it now after he gets a title :)

Some terrible photos I grabbed: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1n89SQjiycgcuJ4i4nPLuwgW8blnBo1RO?usp=sharing

Could you please email me? mwerksman@gmail.com

I have the title issues worked out and would like help restoring the car to it's proper glory!!!

• Like 1