• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help: putting the subframe bolts back IN?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay, so to ensure this never happens again.. what should i do in terms of putting the subframe bolts back in? thoughts are as follows.. good/bad/opinions?

- clean threads with tap

- use new bolts

- regularly pump the frame rail full of oil so as to help resist corrosion

- regularly clean out the 2 little drain holes on the bottom of the frame rail

BUT, what about putting them back in? If i put some anti-seize compound on them... i obviously can't use loctite, and i don't want them to loosen on me... so should i then just use lockwashers on the bolts and I'm good to go?

thx

matt

Guest Anonymous

I'd go down to my local bolt and nut joint and pick up some SS replacements. I'd put them in with a washer and then a lock washer and then the bolt head. Should keep it tight and since it's SS it shouldn't ever bond in any way to the other material. Although SS might be a pit pricey. At my store we also have a "Zinc" plated bolt. I've used those outside on my floating dock on the river. They haven't rusted yet in salt water so I think they'd hold up well. Good rule of thumb that I use on these cars. If you take off a bolt that is original. Replace it with new. Rusty bolts suk.

Kris

Guest Anonymous

Use Lubro Moly anti seize (available from Bav Auto, BMP, probably Max, etc. About $5/tube US.) It is formulated with copper rather than the aluminum used in most anti seize compounds, and I use it on everything except lugs, flywheel bolts, etc. The Lubro Moly stuff will keep bolts from seizing, but will not promote loosening. I have never heard of 2002 subframe bolts loosening anyway, and I'm sure they'll be fine if you tighten them to the proper torque. If you're nervous, you can recheck the torque easily whenever you change the oil.

HTH

Colin

Guest Anonymous

anti-sieze. What you're trying to avoid is galvanic corrosion between the metal of the subframe and the bolt. Because they are of different metalurgies, there will be a small voltage potential between them and eventually the nasty corrosion you experienced. LocTite is a anaerobic adhesive that fills the gaps and slows down the process.

Skip the anti-sieze and save it for things you'd like to remove on a semi-regular basis (spark plugs, exhaust manifold bolts, etc).

Cheers!

John N.