• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear euro bumper question

Just completed the test fitment of my rear euro bumper on my 76 using the 72 mounting  brackets. I didn't see any in the parts image on realoem, but it is there a special spacer that goes in between the bracket and the bumper? I had to use shims there to keep the top bumper edge from hitting the rear valance. Thx. 

IMG_20180405_185445_149.jpg

0403181750.jpg

Edited by RenaissanceMan

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

4 hours ago, echappe said:

You also need this hard rubber spacer which will bump it out another half inch

+ Rubber spacer for bumper
series:
BMW 1502 - 2002 turbo

Rubber spacer for bumper

Your price: €1.00 Incl. VAT + Shipping

That's the spacer for the bumper corner to the fender.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The closeness of rear bumper to body worried me from the day I bought my '69--the slightest bump from another car would push a bumper guard into a tail light, or the bumper itself into the bodywork, so I spaced the rear bumper away from the body first with U channel brackets, then with 1" sections of heavy plastic plumbing pipe spaced between the bracket and the body.

Don't laugh--that plastic pipe is incredibly strong in compression (I've made suspension bushing pullers out of it).  You can cut the slices of plastic pipe as long or short as you want, just use appropriately long bolts.  I also cut a 3/16" thick steel plate to place between the bumper bracket and the body, to spread the impact load if the car was bumped by someone parking by feel.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

34 minutes ago, mike said:

The closeness of rear bumper to body worried me from the day I bought my '69--the slightest bump from another car would push a bumper guard into a tail light, or the bumper itself into the bodywork, so I spaced the rear bumper away from the body first with U channel brackets, then with 1" sections of heavy plastic plumbing pipe spaced between the bracket and the body.

Don't laugh--that plastic pipe is incredibly strong in compression (I've made suspension bushing pullers out of it).  You can cut the slices of plastic pipe as long or short as you want, just use appropriately long bolts.  I also cut a 3/16" thick steel plate to place between the bumper bracket and the body, to spread the impact load if the car was bumped by someone parking by feel.

mike

great idea! yeah, I like knowing I can decide how close I want the bumper to be... :)

Edited by RenaissanceMan

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,