• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

denso Alternator?

pinkey

I was hoping to upgrade my alternator to the 80A 318i M10 unit.  My cousin had a spare long block and gave me the alternator from it. 

this is definitely not the original unit. 

I believe this is the  40 or 50 Amp"justy denso" unit? Not what I was hoping for but it was free so I guess I will give it a try and continue the hunt for the "elusive" 80 amp unit.

Just wondering if it will work as well as how to wire it up properly. 

Thanks in advance!

20180417_164004.jpg

20180417_164038.jpg

20180417_164101.jpg

20180417_171147.jpg

Driving a vintage car always makes traveling an adventure.

That doesn't look like what I remember the Justy alternator looking like,

but it's been a long long time.  The Justy one DID bolt

right up in the tii location with the tii mount, though.

I use that same alternator in 'Chevy Sprint' flange configuration in the race car-

it's almost indestructible.  But I had to make a custom bracket to mount it.

On the one I use, the charge lamp's necessary,

and needs +12 on the other side of it.  

It's good for a solid 50 amps, has pretty low rotating inertia,

and never gives trouble.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hi Toby, could you tell me other than fitting the Tii bracket that mounts to the block, what else do you need to do to get the justy alternator to fit?

i have a 5 series one that I know works, from memory I had to pack it to fit the bracket, my Tii one is fine but the dimming lights etc would be good to sort. Cheers.

Thanks for your reply Toby. It might not be for the justy but it did come right off of a E30 M10 so it should be "bolt on"  I am most curious as to how I would wire it. The main terminal on the top is obviously the B+ terminal. but the 2 terminals on the back are marked as "ig" and "L" not sure which wires go where as this differs from the Bosch unit that people normally install.  

What would be the worst that could happen if I accidentally hook it up wrong through trial and error?  Could I damage the alternator or fry anything?

Edited by pinkey

Driving a vintage car always makes traveling an adventure.

I recall the lower tii mount bolts right up in alignment with the Justy alt,

but the upper (sliding) mount would need a bit of adjustment.  (like the arc/offset was a bit different?)

I recall the tii mount was low, and maybe part of the front timing cover?

But it's been 10 or so years since I looked at that- start with a junkyard one

before you get too attached to the idea!  I might be wrong!  (gasp)

No, I don't think you'll hurt it, pinkey- ig goes to 12v, and L goes to the alternator light.

I THINK it's really that easy...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL