• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hood torsion bar adjustment?

DavidLMM

I just got my '76 out of the paint shop (for the second time, don't ask!) and it seems the propensity of the hood to fall with the slightest bump or puff of air has gotten worse. I've searched the archives, and, while there are excellent posts on adjusting the alignment and gaps on the hood, I don't find much useful about adjusting the spring load to hold the hood up. 

About the only mentions I've found say something to the effect of, "if it wasn't really hard to put it back, you didn't do it right!" and that's really not helping me. It was weak before the shop pulled it for paint, but actually seems weaker now. The blue shop manuals do not seem to address it either. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

David

12 minutes ago, DavidLMM said:

I just got my '76 out of the paint shop (for the second time, don't ask!) and it seems the propensity of the hood to fall with the slightest bump or puff of air has gotten worse. I've searched the archives, and, while there are excellent posts on adjusting the alignment and gaps on the hood, I don't find much useful about adjusting the spring load to hold the hood up. 

About the only mentions I've found say something to the effect of, "if it wasn't really hard to put it back, you didn't do it right!" and that's really not helping me. It was weak before the shop pulled it for paint, but actually seems weaker now. The blue shop manuals do not seem to address it either. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

David

I'd be interested to know also. I replaced the hood during my Touring's recent refurb. Trying to start the car after it's 12 month sleep, the hood came crashing down. Like yours the torsion appears weak, but I do not know if it can be adjusted.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Yep, you can tighten it, but you have to do it in massive (180 degree?  I forget) increments.  Basically, you pre-tension each

one by turning the opposite end, wrestling the cap over, it, and capturing it with its preload.  Which is either not enough, as

you find, or murderous, as it needs to be.

And you have to do it twice.

If you look in the realoem pic, below, you can just see how the other end of the torsion spring is captured in the end cap.

I remember using vice grips, heavy gloves, eye protection, and a lot of caution.  I think it also helps to let the opposite side

spring as far as it can, so that you're not preloading it any harder than you have to.

but it's been a long time since I last did it.  I now no longer take those off if I can possibly avoid it.

hth

t

hood.png

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Swap pc 11 side to side.  It' zinc diecast which creeps under constant high stress load.  You will see what I am saying.  Otherwise buy new ones at $40+ a piece.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

When taking a closer look t it today, I notice a fairly loud "click" at almost full open. Is this normal, or is one of the torsion springs broken? I think this car has always had that "crack" when opening the hood.

RealOEM shows two different torsion springs, both shown as #6 on the above drawing. One, #41615480140 and $58, is NLA. the other, #41615480141, is $18 and available. Is one full-length and the other not? Did the $18 one supercede the $58 one? Are there truly two different springs? 

If the answer is, "that's normal" I'll try swapping #11 fairly soon. Leaving for The Mitty tomorrow, so it'll have to wait! 

• 1 month later...

OK, I finally got around to this yesterday - a reward to myself after mounting a new condenser, fan, Hobie Dave bracket and Sanden 508 on the car. Truth is, I just wanted to stand up for a while!

The pot-metal slug inside one of the ends was completely sheared off and stuck firmly in the connector tube. No wonder it's weak. Steve at BluntTech is going to check on it for me in the morning. Thanks for the tips!

Edited by DavidLMM

• 4 years later...