• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

difference between these 2 fuel tanks

glyif

Hey guys,

Been looking for a new fuel tank. Was looking on the BMW site and it seems like they sell 2?

and

The price difference is a lot haha, almost double.

What's the difference?

16 11 1 111 567 was for the Euro (non-USA) market for '73 & up.

16 11 1 111 602 was for the Euro & USA market for '73 & up.

Both 51 litres - no clue what, if any, the difference is.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Could the difference relate to a return line fitting on the U.S. version, but not on the Euro version? Or could it relate to the cropped right rear corner found on U.S. square taillight cars, cropped to accommodate additional U.S.-mandated crash reinforcements?

I have no answers, but I want to share my OEM gas tank experience within the last 3 years in case it’s helpful in finding an answer.

Return Line Fitting

I replaced the tank on my ‘76 with its recent re-paint. Un-like the original tank, the OEM replacement tank did not have a fitting or hole for the return line. So we pretended we didn’t need it. (Remember, my car has full stock U.S. emissions, Solex, etc.) The car immediately had a warm-start issue, cranking forever before the engine would reluctantly catch.

We added a return line fitting and the car became itself again, starting quickly when cold, warm, or hot. Did we order the wrong tank?

Cropped Right Rear Corner

Planning for the upcoming re-paint of the tii, I bought a new OEM replacement tank. Very exciting. But when I completely un-boxed it — probably 6 months after I purchased it — I realized it was a cropped-corner tank, indicating it was technically a replacement for a ‘74 tii — mine is a ‘73. Since you can fit a cropped-corner tank in a round taillight car, but you can’t fit a full-corner tank in a U.S. square taillight car, it appears that the tii replacement tanks all had cropped corners at that time. Do Euro tanks have full corners?

That’s it.  I didn’t promise any answers!  ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, 2002Scoob said:

I vaguely remember that there's different length fuel sending units for different models/years... no? would that correlate to a deeper tank on some models?

I think Touring has a deeper tank (and tad smaller in other dimensions).

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

Late model cars with the big bumpers have a tank with the top half made smaller on the outboard side above the seam for the bumper gear.  So to keep the same volume the bottom half is deeper and the level sensor is longer.  I changed the tank on my 71 02 to a late Tii tank for the EFI work and it is deeper and has longer fuel level sensor.  My tank part number is 16111111604 from the tag on the tank. It was remove from a parts car that had a new tank (maybe collision at one time).

Tank depth at the sensor bung to bottom, 02 early is 8-1/8 inches, Late Tii tank in 9 1/4 inches.  Fill nozzle is also set inboard from fender further to accommodate the tank half.  I had to cut out the trunk floor board farther for the nozzle location

• Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, tzei said:

I think Touring has a deeper tank (and tad smaller in other dimensions).

Yes, the Trg tank is deeper allowing it to hold 52 litres (13.8 US gals)

Les

FAQ Member #17

6 hours ago, 02Les said:

Yes, the Trg tank is deeper allowing it to hold 52 litres (13.8 US gals)

When did you learn this?

?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

3 hours ago, ray_ said:

When did you learn this?

?

It's in my Trg handbook Ray. That extra 1 litre might get me another 5 miles.............wonder why BMW called it the Touring?

Les

FAQ Member #17

• 3 years later...