• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB or trade: useable '73-'74 black factory seats

joebarthlow

I'm looking for a set of useable '73-'74 black factory seats. Some that don't need repairs or re-stuffed. I have a set of fake Recaros for trade or partial trade. they are not perfect. i'll also pay cash for the right set at the right price.

might be interested in yellow or tobacco as well.

Yes, my car is 4 different colors :(

IMG_3892.jpg

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

Joe,

It may or may not be important to you, but...

Although I believe a 1974 seat uses the same frame as a 1973 seat, and, I suppose, the same horsehair (gummihar) pads (?), the seat covers are notably different.

A 1973 front seat has 12 narrow pleats across the centers of the seat and back cushion, wrapping over the top of the backrest (first photo).  A 1974 front seat, in contrast, has 7 not-so-narrow pleats across the centers of the seat and back cushion, but the pleats on the back cushion stop 2/3rds way up the back.  I can’t find a photo of a 1974 front seat, but the second photo below is of a 1974 rear seat, which will give you the idea.

Late 1973 and all 1974 model year cars share “eared headrests” with 12mm widespread supports (third photo), while early 1973 model year cars use the older style “tubular headrests” with 10mm widespread supports (first photo).

Your current door cards are tan, which only appeared with the square taillight cars.  Round taillights used “UPS Brown”, Tobacco, and Saddle for their browns.  Seats and door cards can be effectively dyed.

Don’t get distracted by the rare 1973 factory leather seat shown in the third photo, owned and photographed by the late David Lumbra.

Best regards,

Steve

66E8A99E-0677-41CB-84A1-22F3150E4589.jpeg

0B2679E0-32C3-4066-9E70-7D85A4244B45.jpeg

2CA6F005-A3F8-41EF-894A-DBC832C7832A.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

thanks Steve. I always appreciate your knowledge. I have black door/wall cards ready to go in. the rear seat will be replaced or recovered at some point. It currently has a custom gray clothe cover from PO. I have a set of '74 seats (7 pleat) and I'm debating rebuilding them. Replacement gummihar pads are not in my budget will need to go the foam sculpting route, maybe with a combo of the remaining gummihar. While I think my covers are in OK shape with a small rip in the driver's seat, but my upholstery guy wants to replace them. He recommended GAHH covers and seems fairly knowledgeable on '70s BMW seats based on my visit today. Looks like GAHH has the right pleats for the year as well.

I was hesitant to replace the salt & pepper carpet as it's new, installed by PO, but I would consider it if I came across some nice tan seats.

If the quote is too high, I may just stuff what foam I can between the springs and remaining gummihar.

I know a black interior with Polaris isn't correct, but I'm using what I have and will look OK. Blue interiors seem quite rare. If I repaint it down the road, I may consider Verona make it correct. ;) As noted in my signature, this car has been several colors. BMW says it was originally Riviera, but I don'e see any evidence. 

IMG_5258.jpg

Edited by joebarthlow
  • Like 1

Got it, Joe!

And Riviera, which is a gorgeous, and relatively rare, color would have had a black interior originally. Hmm...

Those ‘74 front seats actually look quite good. But, yes, 99 out of 100 reupholsters would rather work with new vinyl than 44-year-old vinyl. GAHH is probably the best of the pre-made covers.

You could, of course, hunt around for more ‘74-pleat vinyl, and repair your ‘74 seats, but my experience with my ‘76’s spare seats showed that was a long — and, ultimately, expensive — route.  The smooth vinyl is easy to match with new vinyl. The perforated vinyl is the problem, and is why I bought lots of used covers just to find sufficient heat-seamed, still-pliable perforated vinyl for the central sections.

Is there any navy blue upholstery whatsoever in your car? I ask in the odd instance that BMW Archives screwed up your info request and erroneously reported Riviera instead of Polaris. You’ve looked up under the dashboard for traces of Riviera? Hell, I’d probably go with that Riviera report, because it is beautiful and relatively rare!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Got it, Joe!

And Riviera, which is a gorgeous, and relatively rare, color would have had a black interior originally. Hmm...

Those ‘74 front seats actually look quite good. But, yes, 99 out of 100 reupholsters would rather work with new vinyl than 44-year-old vinyl. GAHH is probably the best of the pre-made covers.

You could, of course, hunt around for more ‘74-pleat vinyl, and repair your ‘74 seats, but my experience with my ‘76’s spare seats showed that was a long — and, ultimately, expensive — route.  The smooth vinyl is easy to match with new vinyl. The perforated vinyl is the problem, and is why I bought lots of used covers just to find sufficient heat-seamed, still-pliable perforated vinyl for the central sections.

I have a couple yards "OEM" perforated vinyl, but it's not the same. see below. I noticed the headrest cleaned up really well. I might consider just replacing the bottoms as an option, but my first choice is to use what I have.

Is there any navy blue upholstery whatsoever in your car? I ask in the odd instance that BMW Archives screwed up your info request and erroneously reported Riviera instead of Polaris. You’ve looked up under the dashboard for traces of Riviera? Hell, I’d probably go with that Riviera report, because it is beautiful and relatively rare!

Best regards,

Steve

under the dash and front apron I find chips of Sahara. Perhaps the Sahara color could be primer? in the door jams and deep engine bay, chips of Sienna Braun. these two colors would explain the tan interior. It's a jigsaw puzzle for sure. I'm going to run the Polaris for now. I do like the Riviera as well.

Edited by joebarthlow

Joe, my '72 was originally Riviera and thus I've got a black interior...but at some point, the PO repainted the car Malaga and I've just stayed with it. Several years ago I replaced my black front seats with a set of e21 recaros and so the original seats are just sitting around. Let me know if you'd want to consider them for your car.

Cheers, Mitch

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid