• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed on dipstick tube length

Themis

Hello. I am assembling a rebuilt engine, and I just got to attach the dipstick tube, but it looks a tad too tall. When I sent some parts of the engine to be powder coated, I included many spare parts I had from other projects. To make things worse, some parts were lost by the powder coated. So, I am uncertain this is the tube from the original motor.

Looking at engine photos in the FAQ, and the BMW factory manual, I am almost certain that the top clamp (which on the other end attaches to the KF pump) is nearly at the very top of the tube. But, before taking a hacksaw to it, I wanted to be certain.

Could someone in the forum supply a measurement from the motor body to the top of the tube (you can see mine in the attached photo). The engine is from a 1974 tii.

Much appreciated, as always!

Themis

Dipstick.jpg

Best measurement is when you put in the proper amount of lube (4.5) you check the dipper and eyeball it, something's are simple

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Perhaps you could make a measuring stick, to put in the tube as it is now, to find the oil height when you know it is at the proper level; then use that information to determine how much to cut off the tube.  Make sense?

Dip 'measuring stick' in tube and mark top of tube on stick.  Pull stick and place factory dipstick so that top of oil on measuring stick aligns with full mark, then mark rubber plug base on measuring stick.  The difference between top of tube mark and plug base mark is what you will be removing from the tube length.

Or, maybe someone will simply say, my 74 tii tube is XX inches long.  I'd still be tempted to do a little measuring to the oil level before cutting.

10 hours ago, Themis said:

Hello. I am assembling a rebuilt engine, and I just got to attach the dipstick tube, but it looks a tad too tall. When I sent some parts of the engine to be powder coated, I included many spare parts I had from other projects. To make things worse, some parts were lost by the powder coated. So, I am uncertain this is the tube from the original motor.

Looking at engine photos in the FAQ, and the BMW factory manual, I am almost certain that the top clamp (which on the other end attaches to the KF pump) is nearly at the very top of the tube. But, before taking a hacksaw to it, I wanted to be certain.

Could someone in the forum supply a measurement from the motor body to the top of the tube (you can see mine in the attached photo). The engine is from a 1974 tii.

Much appreciated, as always!

Themis

Dipstick.jpg

Geez, Louise, that looks high!

My tii is nowhere near, to measure, but I have a few photos and my ‘73 tii’s tube stops just above the bracket off the tail of the Kugelfischer.

By that measure, yours would be about 3” too high. If that’s correct, you’re going to need a few gallons of oil before the level registers.... ?

Regards,

Steve

Steve

5E497D41-75D9-494A-BD8C-6931564A5750.jpeg

76FACD3A-B72D-4DF6-BD6A-41F55B09C55B.jpeg

169E655E-0C71-4D34-8A7C-104202EFF5D2.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I think the 74 dip stick tube is the style that presses right into the block and the dip stick with the hose joint was for a earlier 02 so your mixing styles but that's just my thought.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Just now, Son of Marty said:

I think the 74 dip stick tube is the style that presses right into the block and the dip stick with the hose joint was for a earlier 02 so your mixing styles but that's just my thought.

My 74 has the hose joint... Maybe I should verify that my dipstick tube is actually sized correctly, too. :mellow:

'74 Verona

I could be wrong  about the years, I don't have a example hear to compare just saying we might have mixed part situation going on in this case.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Just now, Son of Marty said:

I could be wrong  about the years, I don't have a example hear to compare just saying we might have mixed part situation going on in this case.

Seems like it would be a good idea to fill it up and check if there's any doubt. After 40 years, who knows what could have been done. I just did a quick search and some people seem to like to put in 4 or 4.3 quarts, but factory says 4.5 quarts (4.25L). I wonder if some of those people had misaligned dipsticks... Anyways, I'm with everyone else here, Themis, and will probably check this on my own motor. Easy enough to do.

• Thanks 1

'74 Verona

Thank you all so very much guys! I agree with you, I will first fill it with oil and double-check before cutting. The block is VIN matched to the chassis, so maybe a bit of mix-and-matching here in BMW's side. 

Thanks much for the photos Matt, its exactly what I suspected; I'm about 3" off (and that, as expected, makes a huge difference ;-)

2 hours ago, Themis said:

Thank you all so very much guys! I agree with you, I will first fill it with oil and double-check before cutting. The block is VIN matched to the chassis, so maybe a bit of mix-and-matching here in BMW's side. 

Thanks much for the photos Matt, its exactly what I suspected; I'm about 3" off (and that, as expected, makes a huge difference ;-)

From my experience all the 2002 M10 2.0L engines have the same length dipstick.  The photo I posted has the smaller diameter tube.  The 2 piece tubes will be the same overall length as this one, even if it has the slight bend.

Matt