• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 2002tii SoCal "Barn Find" Resurrected after 22 years

PDWebb

On 5/17/2018 at 9:50 PM, PDWebb said:

The seats really amazed me, almost like they've never been used.

A great find, no doubt!  ?

But just to be clear, those front seat bottoms, at minimum, have been re-stuffed with foam rubber.  Those are not the contours of original horsehair pads.  There’s nothing shocking about this, the horsehair pads, particularly of square taillight cars, were crap.

I replaced the horsehair pads in my ‘76 in 1996, when they were 20 years old.  I did use new horsehair pads to preserve the shape and firmness.

Apart from the horsehair pads, my ‘76’s interior remains entirely original today, including headliner, door cards, seat covers, and carpet.

Regards,

Steve

36A270E9-883B-4205-AD40-5785F5ED3BB4.jpeg

C89B79AE-CF3B-407A-BE03-A3DEEDB8082D.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

23 hours ago, PDWebb said:

Yesterday was an exciting day and after 15 years of wrenching on various BMWs, their engineering continues to amaze me.

In short, we started for the first time, after 22 years storage, our 1974 Amazon Green 2002tii that we picked up a year ago, and have been working on slowly. I'd not yet posted on this car and want to give a huge thank you to the faq! After carefully following all the instructions on resurrecting a tii after long storage, the "ran when parked" recovery, the Amazon tii is running wonderfully.

We learned a lot about this Amazon tii as we went along. You'll see in the pic below it has had its nose replaced at one point with a non-tii nose (snorkel) and I'm assuming at that point is when it received its respray. Other than that, the car is amazingly original and in excellent rust-free shape, interior is wonderful. We replaced and serviced everything needed to freshen her up.

Greatest thing about the Amazon tii, it only has 53k original miles!

Thank you again faq! Patrick

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

Great car.  Mine looks to be your twin.  What is the VIN.  Also I see you have round relays....is your original spare tire tube or tubeless...both relays and tires were discussed on here several months ago.  Just curious what yours are.

• Like 1

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

Thank you Steve on the seat comparison, I'll see what I can see. With how soft they are I wouldn't be surprised they had foam added.

Update: I looked under the seats for the first time and yes, it is a compound foam. I'd describe it as about 1.5 in. thick with a thin layer and with a base of thick wool or something similar. Looks high quality and I know it is soft and comfy.

Mike, VIN is 2781364 with build date 2/21/74. With the low miles, do you think likely these are original-original?

Edited by PDWebb
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PDWebb said:

Thank you Steve on the seat comparison, I'll see what I can see. With how soft they are I wouldn't be surprised they had foam added.

Update: I looked under the seats for the first time and yes, it is a compound foam. I'd describe it as about 1.5 in. thick with a thin layer and with a base of thick wool or something similar. Looks high quality and I know it is soft and comfy.

Mike, VIN is 2781364 with build date 2/21/74. With the low miles, do you think likely these are original-original?

My 74tii came 1029 cars after yours.....I thought they might be a little closer.  No telling if your millage is original.  Take a look at the brake and clutch pedals...if they aren't wore significantly then the car might only have 53,000 instead of 153,000.  Of coarse the pedals could have been replaced but that's unlikely.

BMW CCA #23777

Good to see the twins. The 53k is original miles, that I do know, I have docs for that. I'm assuming the round relays and such are original.

See update below, updated mileage to 153k after digging into additional earlier records.

Edited by PDWebb

those clamps for the bellows between the air box and the TB are like hens teeth.  they will fall apart so help them out.  the radiator cap is seriously foul.  even at 53K, run hard & put away wet, as they should be!

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

12 hours ago, iinca said:

do you really think they needed foam after just 53K?

Implying nothing about the mileage of this or any ‘02, my ‘76’s front seats desperately needed new horsehair pads in 1996 (20 years and 100,000 miles at the time) not because of use but simply because both pads had turned to dust based on time (and my ‘76 had been garaged since new).

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Quick update, and apologies, this is a bit embarrassing, the car in fact does have 153k miles, I dug deeper into the car's records and found Rusnak BMW in Thousand Oaks had it at over 100k.

Either way, still very happy it's running well :)

2 hours ago, PDWebb said:

Quick update, and apologies, this is a bit embarrassing, the car in fact does have 153k miles, I dug deeper into the car's records and found Rusnak BMW in Thousand Oaks had it at over 100k.

Either way, still very happy it's running well :)

153 is nothing to worry about.  I put 210,000 on mine before I started the restoration.  It was running well right up to the point that I started taking things apart.  It even had the original clutch in it.  You will get many more miles on it so enjoy.

BMW CCA #23777

153k is less than 3.5 k a year....seems that would qualify as low mileage.

Patrick was kind enough to let me come by and do a color match on his original carpet, since mine hasn't had the original color for three decades.

Nice car....

Our pleasure Michael! Great meeting you both yesterday. I hope it was helpful.

We did a lot of cleaning this weekend :)

Also, bigger update, my wife and I have decided to sell this Amazon tii in favor of our other project car which we've been working on for three years, our 1969 Neue Klasse 2000. I'll give a full rundown and post the Amazon tii sale in the next couple days, lots more pictures. We brought the car to a point where it'll be hopefully going to a new home and then lots of driving!

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

• Like 2