• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automatic Transmission Clutch Line

I had to remove the metal connector between the automatic transmission shifter and the transmission and in the process it got bent out of shape! Does anyone know if there is a certain shape that it needs to take in order for the car to shift properly??

I imagine it just needs to be as long as possible in order to make sure all the gears can be reached. 

Any advice helps a ton in reinstalling the shifting components!

IMG_20180522_113636.jpg

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/automatikgetriebe/bmw-1502-2002-turbo/katalogbild-24-15.html

It looks to be straight in the Waloth Nesch picture . 

Put the trans in Park, manually ,with the lever on the trans, put the shifter in park and see where the rod goes , shift it through the gears ( all with the engine off obviously ) to ensure all is well, Job done.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Just did this on an auto...when you have every thing in place it become obvious where the bends need to be, your main concern is that the Hole with rubber insert is 90 degrees to shifter shaft...adjustment on which gear starts at park on shifter inside the car because of release leaver adjustment...it’s some in the car under the car time...

• Like 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

2 hours ago, BarneyT said:

Just did this on an auto...when you have every thing in place it become obvious where the bends need to be, your main concern is that the Hole with rubber insert is 90 degrees to shifter shaft...adjustment on which gear starts at park on shifter inside the car because of release leaver adjustment...it’s some in the car under the car time...

Thank you! What parts are there on the end of the shifter that connects to the linkage? How does it stay connected once it is put together? I see that it isn't threaded but instead is set up for a quick release? Where can I find the parts for securing the linkage to the shifter?

Automatic Transmission Clutch Line

May I suggest you change the thread title to 'Automatic Transmission Shift Linkage"?

Might get a few more views... or heck, maybe fewer!

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

17 minutes ago, TobyB said:

May I suggest you change the thread title to 'Automatic Transmission Shift Linkage"?

Might get a few more views... or heck, maybe fewer!

heh

t

I tuned in to see what that looked like ;)

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

7 hours ago, murphykevin15 said:

What parts are there on the end of the shifter that connects to the linkage? How does it stay connected once it is put together? I see that it isn't threaded but instead is set up for a quick release? Where can I find the parts for securing the linkage to the shifter?

For starters, you might consider looking at pictures of the installed linkage, followed by identifying applicable parts? 

https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=25977619838.jpg

02AutoTransshifter.jpg&key=7e36e7a3425b8

Edited by avoirdupois

Here are a few pics from my removed linkage from when I installed a 4 speed. The total measurement eye to eye on my linkage is 19 3/8. bbcc2d6c82523047766eed12f11f36d7.jpg5768eced1ad91593cd0d07d6c03b5019.jpg3d4867a9cc0a77653a4796e7017931fd.jpgda431693008f430e980b6392b5cfb92e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a

As you can see in these side view pics the bend is at about 5 1/2" and if you lay long part on ground transmission connection eyelet is about 3/4" from straight plane.

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a

On 5/23/2018 at 4:27 PM, dave-r said:

My apologies. I had arm wrong way..bend is down not up. Still same measurements, just imagine inverted!!58dad54468c0878f5c281604f441886f.jpg

Fantastic Dave! Thank you so much, what holds the linkage to the shifter? I have the configuration but there doesn't seem to be any information on the part that secures the line to the handle. I circled the part below in red that I'm trying to figure out. I can barely make it out in the picture of your setup, is that a circlip holding it on?

Screenshot_20180529-145339_01[1].jpg