• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Automatic For Sale - Alberta

Price: $10125

Description:

Price Reduced

This is a very solid 1970 Verona red, automatic, non-sunroof car,  serial number 2531804. It has a single barrel Solex, manual choke, stock distributor and a stock long console.

I purchased essentially a rolling shell in 2013 and all prior history of the car was missing other than it came out of  Kelowna BC which accounted for the minimal amount of rust.  I spent 4 years dealing with all of the repairs needed to complete an out-of -province safety inspection so that it could be registered and insured.  For the past 2 summers I have enjoyed the vehicle as a weekend driver and continued to find period correct missing bits.   To the best of my knowledge there have been no collision damage or accidents.  Everything works, starts with a single turn of the key, windows are in fine shape, and body work looks good and the car has no real vices.  I only drive it on weekends and for fun.

Sadly, I have to sell the vehicle to replace my daily driver.  I am asking US$12,000 which is what I have invested in the car and I can provide an extensive file to confirm the value that has gone into it to date. That said, I am negotiable.

Here is what I have done: 

Suspension:

New Bilsten shocks and coil springs, 1 inch lowered all around

New front bushings, ball joints and tie-rods, control arms and Pitman arm

Wheel alignment

New front bearings

Replaced rear sub-frame mount, drivers side.

Repaired rear coil spring upper mounts

Replaced coil spring pads, top and bottom

Brakes:

New front brake calipers and pads, new brake lines

Rear drums, pads and brake lines replaced

New e-brake cables installed

Electrical:

New Alternator with internal regulator

New Battery and battery cables and ground strap

Trouble-shot all lights, turn signals, brake and back up lights, everything  works

Found and installed period correct turn signal stalk and high beam stock

New washer pump, relay, round washer bottle and washer jets

New 6 fuse clear plastic cover sourced out of Germany (may be the most expensive piece on the car)

Ignition:

new coil, points, condenser, plug wires and plugs

Fuel System

A previous owner installed an electric fuel pump in the trunk and I have removed the mechanical pump and sealed the hole with a proper blank and installed new fuel lines and a fuel filter in the engine bay.

Exhaust

Nothing fancy, just replaced the exhaust system from manifold to tail pipe.

Cooling System

Rebuilt radiator, new thermostat,temperature sensor, all new hoses

Rebuilt heater core and new hoses

Exterior:

Replaced belt line trim, rocker trim, badges, door handles, trunk lock all keyed & working

Chrome wiper arms

Rear chrome trim between tail lights

retro-driving lights and euro license plate 

Interior:

Found and installed period correct front seats and rear bench seat, drivers seat has been recovered, passenger seat has small tear in the central pleats

Found and installed silver dollar gauges, everything works including odometer, speedometer and tachometer, heat and gas gauges

Replaced/repaired window regulators, and drivers side door brake

Found correct steering wheel

Trunk board all replaced and recovered

Located an installed automatic shifter consol and have the last two new automatic shifter brushes on the planet

Door cards were replaced and original uncut door vinyl reinstalled, 

Period correct air and temperature bezels and levers located and installed

Long consol with newer radio-disc player installed

Wheels

2 sets, 4-14" bottle caps currently on the vehicle including hard to find centre dust caps with new decals,  and 5 steel 13" rims with the larger vented hub caps with new decals and  decent tires mounts on them.

What's left to do:

Window and door seals have all perished and need to be replaced. I have the seals but haven't installed them, waiting until after a new new paint job.

The bottom of the spare tire well has been cut out and replaced temporarily with sheet metal. I have a solid spare tire well that needs to be installed.

Previous owner's paint job was poorly applied and the paint  failed on the hood (that is why I added the black wrap on the hood), so it will eventually need to be stripped and  repainted.

There are some rust bubbles in the rear quarter panels and rockers, so when the paint is stripped, there will be some sheet metal work to do but the body is surprisingly solid due to having lived mainly in Kelowna BC until the last 5 years. Since then it has been garaged.

It's a great 10 footer, a very good daily driver and will be a good base for additional restoration work or just drive it and enjoy it as is.

More picture available upon request.

Drivers Side.jpg

Engine Bay Drvers Side.jpg

Engine Bay Passenger Side.jpg

Front Corner Left.jpg

Front Side View.jpg

Front View Hood Detail.jpg

Front View.jpg

Instrument Cluster.jpg

Interior From Driver's Dide.jpg

Interior From Passenger Side.jpg

Passenger Side Front Quarter Panel.jpg

Rear Bench Seat.jpg

Rear View Passenger Side Quarter Panel.jpg

Rear View Passenger Side.jpg

Rear View.jpg

Edited by Guy Cocquyt
Price reduced
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I Second Barney's comment about his automatic. Lilli, our 1976 automatic gives us a spirited drive every time.  Small mods: electronic ignition, Weber, shaved head, lighter chrome bumpers, hot cam. Moves right along with the 4 speeds and tii cars.

And, truth be told, the reworked Behr ac does not seem to slow her down, even cranking on a hot humid day.  

Remember, David E. Davis used an automatic to compose his famous review for "R&T" back in the day. 

On 11/1/2022 at 11:32 AM, bavariaboy said:

… Remember, David E. Davis used an automatic to compose his famous review for "R&T" back in the day…

Wait. What? 😳

David E. Davis, Jr.’s famous article appeared in the April 1968 issue of Car and Driver. The test car was VIN 1660002, manufactured December 12, 1967, a manual transmission example built well before the first automatic transmission example, VIN 2500001, appeared in January 1969. The first U.S.-spec 2002A, VIN 2530001, appeared in May 1969.

Here’s the David E. Davis, Jr. article.

Best regards,

Steve

88D58494-DC11-475E-B072-B6A54743E1A7.jpeg

E95C156A-09E9-4807-8074-1416F024CC43.jpeg

2B14494C-3622-4E20-AD95-5115DA9C1B29.jpeg

DD79B9E1-FFD2-40ED-BAD7-909118850E01.jpeg

815DE584-6FEA-4B83-89E3-DB66628C7DC7.jpeg

D16CD5CC-88A0-4531-A1FF-CC1A2C6ADA2C.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, bavariaboy said:

Steve, I can't attach the article I found, so I am emailing it to you. In the seven photos accompanying the article we see two shots of the automatic badge, one with the other(4sp) 02 with it. 

Your thoughts when you get the article.

steve

Steve,

I see! The June 2020 “re-print” of the article clearly includes period photos of a 2002 automatic that were not part of the original 1968 article, which I reproduced above in its entirety.

There is a clear reference in the original text to the car’s 4-speed transmission. Davis runs through the gears, ending with “I don’t even shift fast from third to fourth, just to let him feel my utter contempt.” And we know the test car, VIN 1660002, the second U.S.-spec car built, manufactured December 12, 1967. It still survives.

Since there was an approximate three-month lead time for publication of road tests, the tested car had to be on the East Coast — it was tested in Connecticut — no later than February 1968. A December 1967 car probably reached the U.S. in January 1968.

So what do we do with those period photos of a pre-Modell 71 2002A? They were taken by the same photographer, J. Barry O’Rourke, who photographed Davis’s test car. But do they date to February 1968, or are they later photos? We know no Euro-spec 2002A’s were manufactured until January 1969 (beginning with VIN 2500001) and no U.S.-spec 2002A’s were manufactured until May 1969 (VIN 2530001).

Did BMW, however, mock up a 2002A earlier, to show off what they might eventually produce? I guess. But… the U.S.-spec 2002A shown in the re-print has sidemarkers, headrests, and “speed bumps” on its three-piece dashboard’s parcel shelf, along with the silver-painted wheel covers. These factors clearly distinguish it as a 1969 model. I’m guessing they were early photos in Car and Driver’s files — perhaps previously un-published and not clearly dated — and they couldn’t help but publish them as part of the re-print. I show them below.

Best regards,

Steve C.

7F5AD01B-A742-4B93-A660-5D68A19D3A1E.jpeg

DDF6F393-4CA5-43A8-B0DD-F597A5A1BB1E.jpeg

E9890EF8-0F38-4FC3-B2B1-59434CEE5EAA.jpeg

EB3FFE88-BE1F-4FED-8862-613CD72B6929.jpeg

E9ED7AAC-59AC-434D-BBCC-6CD1C9517CF7.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks, Steve. VIN numbers don't lie. I wonder why they added the later photos, especially of the much reviled Automatic. 

Off topic: I purchased the automatic for specific reasons. I understand in the past an automatic transmission took 15% off the sale price. Now, with fewer and fewer people knowing how to drive stick-shift(my 44 year old police officer son-in-law being one) and fewer and fewer buyers are buying 2002s to return to their boy racer past(if there was one in the first place) automatics are becoming more desirable. It seems that once a month someone posts looking for an automatic.

Lilli is a 76 so she is not graced with the Automatic badge. I wonder why they deleted it?

Steve

• Like 1