• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Roundie Grilles

oh2ryan

Want to Buy:

I am looking for a complete set of front grilles for my 1971 Euro 2002tii. From research here on the boards I will need the deeper grilles. I am in need of all three pieces, the left and right headlamp grilles and the center kidneys. My tii is being stripped to bare metal now, so the goal is to find showroom quality or near perfect examples to match the rest of the restoration. I will gladly consider "1600" style all silver versions as well. If someone had a complete L and R headlamp assembly for my European spec car, I need those components also (mainly the buckets). My car had been converted to quad head lamps early in its life and I am looking to take it back to its factory appearance. 

Ryan

San Jose, CA

2130459869_2002Baikal.thumb.jpg.619388befc64439ee44851b9fdc08319.jpg

-Ryan

02/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

As you know, a 2002 center grille differs from a 1600-2 center grille from the factory: the vertical slats on the 2002 grille were black anodized from new while the slats on the 1600-2 grille were clear anodized from new. Today, you could remove the clear anodized slats from a 1600-2 grille, and have them black anodized, or powder coated, or covered in black tape, or painted -- well, maybe painting is not the best idea (see following).

But the 2002 and the 1600-2 always shared the same side grilles -- we're talking Euro-spec so there will be no mention of shallow grilles.  Both sub-models' side grilles were clear anodized. From spring 1968, however, when the 2002 sub-model was introduced, until 1970-ish, they took these clear anodized side grilles and simply painted seven of the slats black on each side. Terrible idea: it took about a year for a third of the black paint to chip off from stones, bugs, birds, and everything else that hits the grille. From 1970-ish until round taillight production stopped in July 1973, however, 1600-2 side grilles were converted to 2002 grilles not with paint but with black anodized aluminum "slat covers". OEM replacement parts have continued this practice up to today -- the deep side grilles and black slat covers remain available, periodically, at least. And, bear in mind, if you are buying a used side grille, a brand new slat cover will hide defects or repairs on that side grille's slats....

Re-anodizing a complete set of grilles, in bright dip anodization, is quite expensive -- $1,500 from the King of Trim to fix and re-anodize one center and two side grilles, starting with used grilles in very good condition -- plus the cost of the OEM black anodized slat covers. I mention this because I regularly see NOS grilles out there. If you can avoid re-anodizing, you'll probably wind up ahead.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

@Conserv

I actually read through many posts that had your comments in them about this exact situation. It was the first time I was alerted to shallow and deep roundie grilles and is what prompted me to specify my car as Euro and 1971. 

If NOS grilles were to pop up I would be all over them, or if they became available temporarily. Thanks for the info, Ill keep it in mind when the time comes to pull the trigger.

-R

-Ryan

02/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

• 1 month later...

@DFMC

How about just the driver side grille? I have NOS passenger side and kidney. I have a few drive side used grilles, and a passenger side used grille, and new black slats... but I would be interested I buying a refurbished driver side though to make a complete new set.

-Ryan

02/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

I am assuming by "driver's side" you mean the LH grille (from inside the car)?  

If so then, sadly, I can't help.  I have two spare RH grilles (driver's side in the UK) but it would not be sensible for me to split a set for the one grille that you need.  Sorry...

I would be interested in your driver's side grilles (UK  passenger) if they are available?

David