• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First-time 2002 buyer; input appreciated!

CDG

26 minutes ago, HBChris said:

I would definitely let the seller know you saw the ad for last October and ask what has been done since then.  Seller is now a dealer?  Or same private party?

different seller. I believe last year's buyer is flipping it.

my guess... $3-5K into interior, $8-10K on paint job, probably paid $5500-$6000 for it. I'll bet the door cards and arm rests where stained to match the seats. 

• Like 1

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

So, since this is your first 02, a few things when it comes to prices.  One man's opinion.  Some people have seen early tiis for sale for $50k, so they think any 02 that is for sale for less than that, and looks decent, is a bargain.  

The earlier cars are worth more, according to most sources.  '74 through '76 are not as desirable as the '73 and earlier.  

tiis are more desirable and worth more.  Obviously this isn't a tii.  

Cool colors drive values up, and Sahara, to most (if it is Sahara now, even) is not in the cool kids color club.  I think it's fine, personally.  

Condition is huge - especially body, since it is so expensive to rectify if bad.  

That interior isn't original - it's been re-done.  So you just need to make sure if this is a flip, that the car is solid and they aren't putting yummy frosting on a horrible donut.  

Most nice '74-'76s you see for sale that are really nice are in the mid teens.  So IMHO this car isn't a bargain, but if the body is solid, and the paint is new, and you like that red interior that never came in any 02 (OK supposedly one exception) then $20k maybe isn't crazy.  You could get a nice condition earlier car for that money, to be clear.  Also a '74 tii for that money.  Just so you know.  

Here's a comp:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-bmw-2002-29/

Let us know what happens.  

Scott

• Like 4

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

16 hours ago, Conserv said:

Perhaps it is just the light and/or the camera, but the car looks solidly Sahara (beige) in 2017 and quite yellow in 2018. Sahara is not yellow; it is truly beige. How would you characterize the exterior color today?  Could it have been painted a non-2002 color over the last year?

BMW Archives will confirm the original color — and the manufacturing date — if you simply email the VIN to them, requesting their data on the car (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com).

Regards,

Steve

Not sure it has been repainted. I'm more inclined to think it's the cameras/lighting used.

Looking closely at the rear tag, each side of Oregon (on the tag) is a colour that in both pics pretty much matches the body colour. So the colours on the tag differ slightly also.

1586188507_B32761b.jpg.f3ce9028bdf01f809f738ccb3ffd3955.jpg1411078880_B32762c.jpg.bcf570fac49a2b87aba13821f152800d.jpg

• Like 3

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

As to the color: Sahara looks different in different lighting/settings. Sometimes it can appear more brownish and sometimes it will appear more yellowish, depending on the lighting... I think that it's a legit Sahara (albeit repainted).

As to the price. Big bucks. It needs to be in excellent condition to deserve that much $$$. 

1. Rust?? Big consideration. Expensive to fix. Look closely.

2. Dents/Dings/Crumpled steel anywhere on the car. Bent frame? Mangled suspension?  Expensive to fix. Check it out.

3. Engine. Overhauled? Tired? Totally shot? You need to know.

4. How much love and attention has this 2002 been getting? Deferred maintenance will cost you plenty. It's also going to be pretty unsafe until the basics are set to right. You need to know.

5. Red Interior.  You need to LOVE that look because it's 'unique' and everyone that you meet at a BMW event will have opinions on that interior.... Be ready.

I had a '75 Sahara 2002. I purchased it in 2003 for the grand sum of $3500. Prices have clearly SHOT UP since then. I did okay IMHO.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

1916996_1022026168539_7601909_n.jpg

• Like 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

2 hours ago, Jim_75Sahara said:

As to the color: Sahara looks different in different lighting/settings. Sometimes it can appear more brownish and sometimes it will appear more yellowish, depending on the lighting... I think that it's a legit Sahara (albeit repainted).

As to the price. Big bucks. It needs to be in excellent condition to deserve that much $$$. 

1. Rust?? Big consideration. Expensive to fix. Look closely.

2. Dents/Dings/Crumpled steel anywhere on the car. Bent frame? Mangled suspension?  Expensive to fix. Check it out.

3. Engine. Overhauled? Tired? Totally shot? You need to know.

4. How much love and attention has this 2002 been getting? Deferred maintenance will cost you plenty. It's also going to be pretty unsafe until the basics are set to right. You need to know.

5. Red Interior.  You need to LOVE that look because it's 'unique' and everyone that you meet at a BMW event will have opinions on that interior.... Be ready.

I had a '75 Sahara 2002. I purchased it in 2003 for the grand sum of $3500. Prices have clearly SHOT UP since then. I did okay IMHO.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

1916996_1022026168539_7601909_n.jpg

Thanks so much for this thoughtful response, Jim! Really helpful. Your car looks GREAT :)

• Like 1

IMHO, at that price there are better options. Better price to value options as well. Especially if you're looking in the PNW or West coast.

Case in point:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/1976-bmw-2002/6603504647.html

Elsewhere on the Left coast:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/1969-bmw-2002/6601758325.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/1969-bmw-2002-for-sale/6598235620.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/bmw-2002-tii/6588754217.html

Are those options perfect? No. But depending on what you're looking for, I think they each offer better value for different reasons.

A few suggestions that I have noticed are consistently given here to first time buyers:

Be patient

Look at as many cars as you can

Don't fall in love with the first one

Be willing to walk away if it isn't checking all the boxes

Buy the best, rust free body you can afford, mechanicals can always be done later

Research, research, research - see links below

Get to know the difference between variants, options and modifications to get a sense of what you 'think' you want before you buy

Learn how to use the search feature on this site before asking questions, people on here tend to help those who at least try to first help themselves

As has been stated: get a PPI before you buy  with a shop that knows these cars

Blah, blah, blah... I think you get the idea.

Here are some good resources for you:

A site that aggregates Craigslist ads nationally:

https://makemodelsearch.com/sort/autos/1/5/newest/

A restoration guide - don't buy until after you've read this. Front to back. Twice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1855204517/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_Th4dBbENHCYGA

A great read to get a sense of the car and culture:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0837617200/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_Zl4dBbHN41ABB

Happy hunting and welcome to the FAQ.

James

PS. Full transparency, I tried to follow all the advice in the world. But when I bought my first 02 I ignored most of it. I just had to buy it. ?

• Like 3

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"