• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Override Rubber 73

DEZIMADE

You are great thanks [emoji1374]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilst we’re at it? What is the screw that is permanently fastened to the rubber override? You see it’s halfway fastened I found two screws that fit and locked in place and they’re totally difficult to remove as bumper is practically put together so I need to locate a screw that I can finagle in there

On a '73, with the rear bumper spaced away from the body with those oval bumper brackets, it's much easier to reassemble the bumper first (leave the bolts holding the side pieces to the center section a little loose for final adjustments), then bolt the assembled bumper to the already installed brackets.  Just be sure to wrap the bumper ends in rags so they don't scratch the quarter panels, and have a friend there to help hold the bumper in place while you run up the bolts.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On a '73, with the rear bumper spaced away from the body with those oval bumper brackets, it's much easier to reassemble the bumper first (leave the bolts holding the side pieces to the center section a little loose for final adjustments), then bolt the assembled bumper to the already installed brackets.  Just be sure to wrap the bumper ends in rags so they don't scratch the quarter panels, and have a friend there to help hold the bumper in place while you run up the bolts.

mike
Thanks mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Des said:

Whilst we’re at it? What is the screw that is permanently fastened to the rubber override? You see it’s halfway fastened I found two screws that fit and locked in place and they’re totally difficult to remove as bumper is practically put together so I need to locate a screw that I can finagle in there

They come as part of the rubber assy, so no clue how long. They are M6.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Hey Mike I noticed that when I attach the overrides ?I don’t know from memory ?..but it seems as if the overrides are flaring out a bit and giving me the side [emoji872] !! just a little bit are they supposed to be straight straight oor flared out a bit. Thanks Dezf134fd73450e0ad507025fc93e2538eb.jpg

1 hour ago, Des said:

Hey Mike I noticed that when I attach the overrides ?I don’t know from memory ?..but it seems as if the overrides are flaring out a bit and giving me the side emoji872.png !! just a little bit are they supposed to be straight straight oor flared out a bit. Thanks Dezf134fd73450e0ad507025fc93e2538eb.jpg

They are "handed", left & right, so make sure you have them in the right place.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

so that means there is a leftover ride and a right override correct thanks Des

Wow this bumper is a cool journey.... as you can tell this is my first one.
At least the rear bumper.
That said: the “oh “ so rare rubber trim ( sanded and painted) thank you .
May be on upside down ;( that would toss a [emoji373] in things ! This pic is a pic of the long-tail . Please tell me it’s right. e4e6418fda44e70a7c52cf33e0fd56a2.jpg thanks Dez

So I gutta flip it. Oh dear

Hi no wonder the rubber strips are becoming a thing of the past! The figment was a $&@( ! And the after market bumper fit......... another $&@;( !
But it’s done and I thank you?!
I feel that I should have been talked out Of applying that strip . Now for the heat [emoji91] [emoji379]. To smooth that out.
Thanks again for your reply man Dez