• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Weber 32/36 Setup Tutorial?

backeis

Got my new 32/36 DGEV in the mail the other day and want to tackle the installation this weekend. Seeing that the article here on the forum has an issue with its photos – is there another resource you all can recommend? Like, a really simple step-by-step guide on how to install and adjust? I can probably figure out the installation pretty easily, but am worried I'll get frustrated fast when it comes to the jetting and stuff afterwards.

Edited by backeis

Taking the old one off is probably the best instruction for installation of the new carb. Have you got a phenolic spacer? (The thick gasket to isolate heat from the carb). 

Did your carb come from someone who claimed to have pre jetted it for the 2002? I would take the top off before installation and record which jets you have where first of all. You can then report back and gain opinions. There are a couple of jetting prescriptions on this site if you search (CD’s being the most famous). These are a starting point that many stick with and a few the use as a jumping off point for the search for perfection. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I have just had some new experience setting up my DGEV and wrote some good notes on setting the cold start fast idle that you can find looking through my activity. But this is probably a last step and just makes for a big smil when set up right and your car starts first turn of the key every time.

Also, I had mine jetted to CD's specs from where I bought it and then followed the basic one sheet set of instructions from Weber to get the idle and mix set properly. If you do not have these, I can take a pix of my paper and send.

But as I have been harping on lately, the proper order of a "tuneup" should be dwell (if you are running points), then adjust valves dead on, then set timing dead on and lastly mess with the carb. I found it was really worth following that order and when I was messing with carb, mine was quite sensitive to minor mix screw tweaks, ... so tweak and drive until you can feel the motor loving the sweet spot.

Randy

• Like 1

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

everyone tends to make installing a new weber much more complicated than i've ever found it to be...put the new carb on, set the idle and fuel mix, drive it and see how it runs...don't start tearing it apart unless and until you have to...

every weber 32/36 that i've ever used on any of my o2's was plug and play and ran very well, out of the box,  without messing with it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Simeon: I assume there's a spacer in there when I take the old one off. Fingers crossed... Installation overall shouldn't be too tricky. 4 bolts, hook up electric choke, done. Right?

The one currently on is a 32 DGAV 5E, so a different model. It was also tuned for Cali emissions equipment.

@worzella: I think I found your post? https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/219332-fast-idle-stopped-working/?do=findComment&comment=1252785

15 hours ago, worzella said:

But as I have been harping on lately, the proper order of a "tuneup" should be dwell (if you are running points), then adjust valves dead on, then set timing dead on and lastly mess with the carb.

New terms for me. What's "dwell", and how do I adjust valves "dead on"? Timing I'm somewhat familiar with (there's supposed to be marks on the distributor for what angle to ideally set it to, right?).

@esty: That sounds promising! How do I set idle and fuel mix?

@joebarthlow: Thanks! Hope to find enough info on the web though before buying a book or DVD.

15 hours ago, esty said:

and there's a nipple, small tube on the front/bottom that will need to cap to avoid a huge vac leak

I'm hunting a potential vac leak in my weber, can you or someone post a pic showing this nipple/small tube mentioned?

thanks

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

21 hours ago, esty said:

1st set the idle so that it runs...the lowest idle you can get is best...then turn your mixture screw all the way in, the car will die, the 1 1/2 to 2 turn out then  start the car...play with the mixture until you have the highest idle

then set the idle screw to where you  want it to idle

If mixture (technically, the ‘idle/low speed idle mixture volume screw’) is outside the specified range, you’d want to change idle jet size. -KB