• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Weber 32/36 Setup Tutorial?

backeis

2 hours ago, backeis said:

Installation so far is going good. Got the new carb on, throttle linkage connected, and that little red surgical tube (for vacuum I guess?).

did your carb come with new throttle linkage or are you using existing?

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

did your carb come with new throttle linkage or are you using existing?

Using existing.

Idle speed was pretty much perfect. It died when I started turning it down. Mix however took a lot of turns before it died. Turned it out 1.5 turns. Seems to be good for now!

• Thanks 1

My new carb came with a U shaped linkage piece that bolted to the carb to accept the rod from the accelerator linkage.... but my old one had an L shaped piece. But comparing, the metal stampings , they were identical so I heated up the U and turned it into an L. Also, if the thin rod that engages the piece I was just talking about is worn from friction over the years, you can get a small brass cylinder rod from Ace or big box (maybe 1/8" diameter or so) and cut a short inch long piece and it pressure fits over the existing rod to give you a nice new surface. Grease all the linkage areas up well when you have things set up.

Also, the horizontal linkage rod has a ball "hole" at the end that pushes onto a ball that is on the piece that screws onto the carb. This is just a pressure fit and inside the rod ball "hole", there is a ring clip that when you push the two together will kepe it in place. You should hear a slight pop as that clip engages over the ball. A small dab of grease in that ball/hole setup is good idea too

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

I simply reused the L shaped piece from the old carb instead of the U shaped piece from the new one. Linkage was still very smooth in all joints.

Also decided to tape shut that ventilation hole on the airbox, since I'm not attaching a hose, to prevent debris from getting in.

Going for a longer drive tomorrow, we'll see how well it all performs under stress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fitting in the lower right of this shot is the breather hose connection. If you have a hose connected to it, let us know where it goes. It either goes down toward the ground and gunk sprays on the road and under your car or it connects to that carb L fitting and gets re-burned and/or gums up your carb... or some people run it to a catch can that collects the oil.

Randy 

IMG_4732.thumb.JPG.8ba13be232b704166362074fdb04e75a.JPG

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Ah ok! Yeah, I have a catch can behind the left headlight. Which smokes a lot by the way... Might be due to recent overburn of fuel with the old carb? Planning on cleaning it out this week and getting a new filter (it's one of those Moroso cylinders).

Any other tips on why it might be smoking a ton?

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2018 at 7:18 AM, worzella said:

The fitting in the lower right of this shot is the breather hose connection. If you have a hose connected to it, let us know where it goes. It either goes down toward the ground and gunk sprays on the road and under your car or it connects to that carb L fitting and gets re-burned and/or gums up your carb... or some people run it to a catch can that collects the oil.

Randy 

IMG_4732.thumb.JPG.8ba13be232b704166362074fdb04e75a.JPG

anyone have a hose routing suggestion, for either a catch can or to the ground?

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

34 minutes ago, worzella said:

I don’t really like it but this where I placed mine

Randy

F0159F0B-0E96-4A24-8DFF-818F76BB1E7C.thumb.jpeg.536ee522edeaf9b2ebe20dbf48c38c0f.jpeg

Such a clean engine...I like.

I've got to get a catch can soon.

Edited by BeMyWay

Light is seriously underrated.

• 6 years later...
On 7/29/2018 at 12:09 PM, worzella said:

I don’t really like it but this where I placed mine

Randy

F0159F0B-0E96-4A24-8DFF-818F76BB1E7C.thumb.jpeg.536ee522edeaf9b2ebe20dbf48c38c0f.jpeg

Hey Randy, what canister is that? I like it a lot. Does it still smoke or throw any oil out?