• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 upgrades to 2002 ideas

Road trip

I’d make any but the most complete and original 1600-2 into a 1600ti (dual Solexes).  Depending on the manufacturing date, the subframes might or might not be factory-drilled for sway bars — the same bars that came on 2002’s. This is an easy and meaningful upgrade.

Are you certain this car still has a 1.6-liter engine? Many have been swapped out by now. This is not a negative reflection on the 1.6-liter engines — which are wonderful high-revving machines — but, rather,

partly reflects the simple fact that 2-liter engines were cheap and plentiful as many 1600-2’s reached the “tired” stage of life.

We’re going to need photos if you want us to dream big!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Depending on the manufacturing date, the subframes might or might not be factory-drilled for sway bars — the same bars that came on 2002’s. This is an easy and meaningful upgrade.

Are you certain this car still has a 1.6-liter engine? Many have been swapped out by now.

Fitting sway bars are a definite Thing To Do to a 1600--when 1600s first hit US shores in '67, the first one I saw at an autocross I swear was scraping the door handles on the pavement it leaned so much in the corners--kinda like a motorcycle.  Sway bars will definitely help.

As for the engine:  if the engine number begins with 15xxxxx, then it's a 1.6 liter engine; if it begins with a 166/167 or a 2xxxxxx then it's a 2 liter engine.  Also the 1600 cylinder head says "118" cast into the manifold side; 121,E12, E21 are 2002 heads.

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

I’d make any but the most original 1600-2 into a 1600ti (dual Solexes).  Depending on the manufacturing date, the subframes might or might not be factory-drilled for sway bars — the same bars that came on 2002’s. This is an easy and meaningful upgrade.

Are you certain this car still has a 1.6-liter engine? Many have been swapped out by now. This is not a negative reflection on the 1.6-liter engines — which are wonderful high-revving machines — but, rather,

partly reflects the simple fact that 2-liter engines were cheap and plentiful as many cars reached the “tired” stage of life.

We’re going to need photos if you want us to dream big!

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for the comments I will defiantly post

if it happens

The only things needed are :

engine rebuild, trans rebuild ,rear dif

work, center support , guimbo, alternator, starter, complete suspension front and rear, everything that is brakes, gas tank 

mother than that it looks good .

probally all new/all stock

• Thanks 1

I have a 1600-2 that I'm building right now as well.

Keeping the exterior to spec. But swapping out some off the older 1600 unique items out.

It already had a 2.0 engine.

I'm swapping out my 1600-2 pedal box for a 2002 pedal box / brake booster and going with an e21 MC.

swapping in 2002 struts as I believe the 1600-2 ones are smaller then the 2002.

I'll be keeping the single circuit brakes and I'm still debating willwood or Volvo  brake upgrade or other options in the front and e21 drums in the rear. 

I pulled the gauge cluster and it's being restored as we speak by a fellow FAQ member. 

The PO had swapped the clock for a tachometer. 

Interior was gutted when when I got the car so it's a blank slate and I'm having some upholstery work done to some e21 recaro a in the front and e24 rear set up.

i have front and rear 2002 subframes from coupe king that I'm installing. 

Decided on leaving the ride height stock. And I have several options when it comes to wheels to choose from. 

I don't have the 1600-2 style wheels and hubcaps. Which I may seek out at some point. 

recommend considering a third brake light and/or led brake lights.

my dash is trashed so I have to figure that out as well.

also I'm swapping in an getrag 245 and an LSD.

still debating the carb set up.

i have a stahl header and still figuring out what other exhaust pieces to s so in.

also swapping out all body gaskets.

lots of work to do.  Hope that's helpful.

Edited by Dionk
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

I’d make any but the most original 1600-2 into a 1600ti (dual Solexes).

Yes and you don't even have to change the cam as the ti's used the same one as the non-ti's.  The compression was higher but those 1600ti pistons are hard to find.  Also very rare are the proper intake manifolds for the 118 head.  But definitely worth it with the high revving engine.

• Like 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

One thing you might want to take a look at are the door latches. If you have an older 1600 (not sure what year you've got) and they're different from the 2002s, you might want to think about it. I've had a couple from a 67 fail under duress over the years and have had to convert to the 2002 style. If for whatever reason (rust, wrecks) you're changing the doors to 2002 style, you'll need to change to the 2002 body side latches, which is easy. They're on everything from E23s to 320is. Converting a 1600 door to accept a 2002 latch I haven't tried.

If your latches look like everybody's 2002, nevermind...

• Like 1

Has anyone stroked a 16 with a 02 crankshaft, I checked the numbers in my bluebook. I love my 16 but want the torque my o2 has. Kicking around ideas.

Also swapping a 02 brake booster, any mods or just simple swap.

The rock has o2 rear shocks for a deal, will they fit the 1600?

I do know a 02 trunk and quarters fit tight and right. Everything else  I learn here. 

Thanks for all we share here!

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

4 hours ago, dbmw2002 said:

Has anyone stroked a 16 with a 02 crankshaft, I checked the numbers in my bluebook. I love my 16 but want the torque my o2 has. Kicking around ideas.

I do know a 02 trunk and quarters fit tight and right. Everything else  I learn here. 

Thanks for all we share here!

You asked more question than answered 

maybe someone will help both of us

10 hours ago, Road trip said:

Yes to both questions.  Unless you're gonna fit side draft carbs to your 1600; then you'll need a tii booster.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I don’t believe we ever nailed down the precise date or VIN at which the changeover occurred from un-drilled 1600-2 subframes to factory pre-drilled subframes.

But it seems as if VIN 1567535, manufactured January 3, 1969, was pre-drilled:

The long-neck differential was phased out during January 1969. I wonder if this was also approximately when the factory started pre-drilling the 1600-2 subframes.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Possible, my 1600 came with the holes for the sway bar pre drilled & I installed a 2002 sway bar when I bought the cat in '85.  Mine has a build date of November 1969.

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)