• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAT Auction '68 1600

jscaptura1

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-bmw-1600-9/

Has anyone seen this auction yet?  Up to over 26K with over 2 days left.  Looks like a nice build.  Would liked to have seen an original 1600 motor with the dual carbs.  That is my goal someday.  Rebuild my original 1600 motor (still In the car, over 175K) with dual carbs to make a 1600ti tribute.  Not a big fan of putting the 2liter motors in the 1600's.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I am pretty sure mine did not come with the plastic covers. Build date of Nov 1969

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Absolutely awesome car.  I don't get the fizz about most cars up for sale, but this one does it.  Great car, tasteful changes, well-respected-in-the-community seller (and as an even more of a plus, he is one of the "old guard".  He's not a slick wheeler-dealer, he's an actual enthusiast).

I see that the BAT peanut gallery is once again pretty clueless. 

Edited by AceAndrew

Very pretty car--the 1192nd US spec 1600 off the line, and obviously built before 1 January 1968, when a bunch of Federal safety requirements took effect.  Thus the chrome trim on the dash, the chrome around the instruments, no side reflectors and (possibly) bumper-mounted license plate lights.  It also has the far-forward mounted outside mirror; the factory switched over to the later mount location sometime before the first US 2002s left the assembly line in January 1968. 

The only unauthentic detail I could spot (other than the obvious 2 liter engine/5 speed/shortneck diff setup) is the trunk lid torsion bars.  The ones used prior to 1 Jan 1969 had plastic caps on the ends of the arms, and the linkage is different.   All the other little details--thin metal door handles and window cranks, cloth center seats (that adjust only, not recline) are correct for the car.  

Metzler is a long-established German tire brand (not sure if they're still in business); my wife's '63 VW came with Metzlers as OEM equipment.  

I'm not surprised at the bidding.  Increasing prices are a two-edged sword:  enthusiasts are gonna be priced out of the market, and we owners are gonna be more scared to drive 'em.

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

19 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Absolutely awesome car.  I don't get the fizz about most cars up for sale, but this one does it.  Great car, tasteful changes, well-respected-in-the-community seller (and as an even more of a plus, he is one of the "old guard".  He's not a slick wheeler-dealer, he's an actual enthusiast).

I see that the BAT peanut gallery is once again pretty clueless.  

My friend sold his beautiful E24 M6 a couple of years ago on BAT. There was a mileage discrepancy with Carfax which was explained as an error by Carfax.  While he got more money than he thought, he got beat up by the pundits so badly, he said he would never do it again.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, HBChris said:

So was this 1600 in a fire or not?  Did Mike P build this car?

Bluntly put, no.  I simply will not give any credence to a rat, especially when someone I trust has put their word on it.

As for the builder, I’m sure Perry would talk to you if you shot him an email.

Most certainly looks like Mike's former car. Perry parked next to me at the Icon open house in Greer. It is a stunner. As Andrew said, the BaT commenters turn me away from trying to use that site to sell a vehicle. Too bad.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

Most certainly looks like Mike's former car. Perry parked next to me at the Icon open house in Greer. It is a stunner. As Andrew said, the BaT commenters turn me away from trying to use that site to sell a vehicle. Too bad.

9 hours ago, HBChris said:

So was this 1600 in a fire or not?  Did Mike P build this car?

Yes Mike Pugh built this car.   

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40