• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what RPM does the vacuum retard kick in at on '76 cars? How

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

You would need to do a map of intake vacuum vs. RPM vs. engine load to answer your question.

As for how much retard, the factory manual says 12 degrees.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

are pretty cheap, but a vac-retard disti is a poor choice if you're running boost (no vacuum) and was put on later model cars for emissions, not performance reasons. I've been told that with '74 Tii's, performance will be hurt if you remove the vacuum retard though.

Cheers again!

John N

Guest Anonymous

1218981.gif

URL: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=26373&prmenbr=76

I removed all the smog electromagnetic valves and vacuum lines yesterday from my '76 and wanted to know what I should hook back up for any performance gains, or for the sake of not losing any power. And also, when I put the L-jet on soon I am going to have an MSD programmable timing computer advance the timing not the distributor. One of the functions on the MSD is a high speed retard, so I wanted to know if using it would help the L-jet function. I've talked to Mike Kubani via email several times and he says the timing curve of an 02 is not ideal for the L-jet, hence why I want to use the MSD programmable timing computer.

Thanks for the info,

Elliot

p.s. MSD box is part #8981

Guest Anonymous

If you do, try to replicate the vacuum advance disti. If you have hi-comp pistons, I'd leave the vacuum retard disconnected. As best I can tell from the factory manual, the advance curve is very close to the Tii mechanical advance-only disti and should be reasonably close.

I don't think MSD's are a replacement for the disti advance curve, although some models will retard you spark (useful for NOx or if you're running boost).

Regards,

John N