• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here I go again 1968 Bmw 1600 project from BAT

Road trip

I saw that on BAT a couple of days ago.  Glad to see it went to someone on the FAQ that will make it right again!

• Like 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I didn’t see it on BAT. And Wow! VIN 1560364 must be a mid-September 1967 car.  I hope you’ll share your BMW Archives report with us.

That is one exceptional original interior for an early ‘02. It’s only on the 1966 through early 1968’s that we regularly see factory black interiors on factory Chamonix cars; soon, navy blue became the rule. And the sunroof makes this car extra special!

Congratulations! And if you need assistance finding places to spend money on it, we’re here to help!  ?

The period Mark IV A/C would be a quandary for me. It is rare to even see one of those units, much less in its original installation. And to get it working — well that would make it uber-rare! But I agree that the design of the glove compartment unit is....less-than-optimal, interrupting the chrome dashboard fascia. I have nothing whatsoever to back this up, but I suspect the Mark IV might have been introduced after BMW had converted U.S. models to the fully-padded dashboards: the glovebox arrangement is less awkward on ‘02’s with the fully-padded dashboards. I’m counting on you to go through the car’s records for any evidence of when the A/C was installed: initial delivery, or shortly after delivery. Keep in mind that a mid-September car did not reach these shores until the last half of October at best, and the initial sale and delivery could be almost immediate or months down the road. 

Regardless of what you decide to do with the Mark IV, you would be doing this forum a big favor if you could show us how the A/C compressor was mounted to the engine in the days before the blocks were factory drilled and tapped for a compressor mount.

All in all, as I view items such as the embossed front hood trim, I can’t help but think this is an exceptional find.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

9 hours ago, Conserv said:

I didn’t see it on BAT. And Wow! VIN 1560364 must be a mid-September 1967 car.  I hope you’ll share your BMW Archives report with us.

That is one exceptional original interior for an early ‘02. It’s only on the 1966 through early 1968’s that we regularly see factory black interiors on factory Chamonix cars; soon, navy blue became the rule. And the sunroof makes this car extra special!

Congratulations! And if you need assistance finding places to spend money on it, we’re here to help!  ?

The period Mark IV A/C would be a quandary for me. It is rare to even see one of those units, much less in its original installation. And to get it working — well that would make it uber-rare! But I agree that the design of the glove compartment unit is....less-than-optimal, interrupting the chrome dashboard fascia. I have nothing whatsoever to back this up, but I suspect the Mark IV might have been introduced after BMW had converted U.S. models to the fully-padded dashboards: the glovebox arrangement is less awkward on ‘02’s with the fully-padded dashboards. I’m counting on you to go through the car’s records for any evidence of when the A/C was installed: initial delivery, or shortly after delivery. Keep in mind that a mid-September car did not reach these shores until the last half of October at best, and the initial sale and delivery could be almost immediate or months down the road. 

Regardless of what you decide to do with the Mark IV, you would be doing this forum a big favor if you could show us how the A/C compressor was mounted to the engine in the days before the blocks were factory drilled and tapped for a compressor mount.

All in all, as I view items such as the embossed front hood trim, I can’t help but think this is an exceptional find.

Regards,

Steve

Thank you for the positive comments

yes I’ll be spending a lot of time here

on Faq 

F86B2F07-7EEB-428A-9829-75D654EEDD9E.png

18 hours ago, Conserv said:

That's really caring of you, Steve. Really very caring. And social.

This is valid also overseas I hope? Because I've already found dozens of places to spend money on and if the faq is such willing to help...

Paypal welcome.

Prost,

Henning

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Henning said:

That's really caring of you, Steve. Really very caring. And social.

This is valid also overseas I hope? Because I've already found dozens of places to spend money on and if the faq is such willing to help...

Paypal welcome.

Prost,

Henning

Thanks, as always, Hen, for your enthusiasm and support!

But the offer, as generous as it obviously is — ? — is limited to “finding places to spend money” and is intentionally silent as to the sources of that money....

Sorry if I got your hopes up. But trust me: I’m taking good care of the ‘76 with you in mind.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

8B9E0307-9277-446A-B43D-7F379D1CE0C2.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

RT, congrats. I saw that posting. A few unwarranted negative comments from the peanut gallery there.

It looks VERY solid to me. And I bet you find that most of the NLA pieces can be found.

Nice save!

Cheers,

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2018 at 10:33 AM, Conserv said:

Regards,

Steve

You say it must be a sept 1967 car ?

its titled as a 1968. How can I confirm it’s true year ?

35 minutes ago, Road trip said:

You say it must be a sept 1967 car ?

its titled as a 1968. How can I confirm it’s true year ?

The U.S. model years generally run from September to August.  If it was built on or after approximately September 1, 1967, it is a 1968 model. BMW Archives’s records are maintained on a simple calendar year basis; they do not capture the U.S. model years. But your car, given its VIN, must be a September car. Have you requested Archives’s data (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com)?

Many of the 1968 BMW models actually had “1968” stamped into their riveted-on metal VIN tag — but not 100%. Below is the VIN tag for your car shown on BAT. “1968” is clearly stamped after the model, “1600-2”. There was also, originally, an EPA-mandated underhood sticker explaining the engine tuning specs. These also note the model year.

Regards,

Steve

0BD08CA6-1F55-4844-AEF7-CD6E08453306.jpeg

Edited by Conserv