• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing clutch on a 6 bolt flywheel

zinz

I posted this over in the NK discussions last week and haven't gotten much response, so I thought I'd try here.

My problem:

My '67 2000CS has a 6 bolt, 228mm flywheel with the early, 3 finger, coil spring-type pressure plate. This car has a hydraulic clutch pedal. I'm wanting to swap a 5 speed into this car.  The 215mm clutch parts obviously do not fit this application.  The contact ring of the 215mm throw out bearing (on right in picture below) is much narrower than the original TOB and will not match up to the 3 fingers.

AFCAEBBB-2E83-4783-8F9E-79460D6EF6B6.thumb.jpeg.5c6a81ed24db66b8d63c5457ffb6848a.jpeg

Can anyone tell me, does the 228mm clutch below bolt up to the 6 bolt flywheel?  Toby has told me the flywheel may need to be machined to accept the dowels and bolt locations of the pressure plate.

21111470111.jpg

Does anyone have direct experience with this? 

This thread from 2016 seems to confirm that I need to remove my FW and have it machined to accept the later pressure plate.  

Thanks in advance,

Ed Z

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Looking at the bolting on the 6 bolt pressure plate, it sure looks like the flywheel needs to be modded for the 8 bolt pressure plate.  Doesn't look to be extremely challenging provided it's done on a centering machine.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

22 minutes ago, jimk said:

Doesn't look to be extremely challenging provided it's done on a centering machine.

I agree, Jim.  a competent machine shop should be able to accomplish this.  (or me and Barney will just clamp it to the workbench and go at with a cordless drill ? )

If I could find a throw out bearing with a wider contact ring, I'd be in business.  You can see in this picture how the 215mm TOB won't match up to the fingers of the old pressure plate...  it's close but no cigar.

image.png.638fc0114f143db11863575657180d65.png

1499CAD1-365C-476B-A086-37A70391E3E7.thumb.jpeg.219e03f1ebcf5d7e7d3f8e6a68328633.jpeg

Edited by zinz

1 hour ago, zinz said:

Toby has told me the flywheel may need to be machined to accept the dowels and bolt locations of the pressure plate.

I compared old 6-bolt fw (200 mm clutch) and newer 8-bolt fw (215 &228 mm) and dowel & bolt locations differ. Older has 2 dowels and newer are with 3 dowels.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

8 minutes ago, tzei said:

I compared old 6-bolt fw (200 mm clutch) and newer 8-bolt fw (215 &228 mm) and dowel & bolt locations differ. Older has 2 dowels and newer are with 3 dowels.

My oldtimer has no dowels... annnnd the old pressure plate is actually marked Type 225... not 228?

Hmmmmm...

You will need to drill the flywheel for the dowell pins and the bolts.  This needs to be done very carefully if the pressure plate is as little as .002” off center you will have a horrible balance problem.  I have done a number of conversions over the years and it’s not that difficult with the right equipment (mill with rotary table is the best setup)

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

8 minutes ago, ray_ said:

If the first one comes out crooked....

Ha! you don't think Barney and I could get it within 0.002" just eyeballing it with a hand drill??? :wacko:

I'll go with Byron's suggestion and leave it to the professionals and find a shop with the proper equipment. 

Thanks all for the suggestions, both online and offline.  I'll get the FW off to the machine shop as soon as possible and keep this project rolling...

Have a great week, everyone,

Ed

Years ago I ran a similar clutch (early 2002) with a late e21 4speed. I don't remember the TO bearing I used but I know it worked fine.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I have an early '69 with the six bolt flywheel (400 cars before they switched) like yours; my pressure plate looks like the picture Ray posted, not like yours.  I have an extra (used) one in the basement and will be glad to measure the circumference of the flat fingers on mine if you wish.  Perhaps that style (which is what was used on the 6 bolt crankshaft-equipped '68 and '69 2002s) will work with the T/O bearing you wish to use.

And BTW, both styles of pressure plate are actually 228 mm in diameter on 2002s...

PM me...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Either of those three finger pressure plates will need the wide throwout bearing which is impossible to find.  Drill the flywheel for the later style.

• Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

6 hours ago, Preyupy said:

You will need to drill the flywheel for the dowell pins and the bolts.  This needs to be done very carefully if the pressure plate is as little as .002” off center you will have a horrible balance problem.  I have done a number of conversions over the years and it’s not that difficult with the right equipment (mill with rotary table is the best setup)

Just send the flywheel/ pressure plate to the balance shop, and they'll balance it as a unit. 

18 minutes ago, arminyack said:

Just send the flywheel/ pressure plate to the balance shop, and they'll balance it as a unit. 

You can do that but with the weight of the pressure plate if it's off even the slightest bit the balance shop is going to have a hell of a time getting it balanced.  You need to get it balanced anyway, why not do it right from the beginning?

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC