• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tailpipe Wideband O2 Sensor Mount

I want to use a wideband O2 sensor for adjusting my K-Fish.  Desire is keep my Tii totally stock / original.  Purchased a tailpipe O2 sensor adapter from a company called FAST.  Trouble is the mount pipe is 1.75" and only goes into the stock exhaust about 2"  Does anyone have a better suggested solution for temporary tailpipe sensor mount / use?  I guess I can cut down the FAST mount to work.

1.jpg

1 (1).jpg

Presumably you would need a good seal with the pipe to prevent air from spoiling the result. Is that tapered? If it get a good seal and all of the (unadulterated) exhaust flows past the sensor, it would be as good as trying to get it a bit closer to the current tailpipe. 

Having a welded in bung that you then remove the wideband from would work better and be not that noticeable. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

The Innovate exhaust clamp fits perfectly on a stock exhust (it's about 15cm long, so well before the bend).  I'm currently using it to tune my K-Fisch.  Just make sure you dial down on the mounting screw, else it can vibrate of while driving (ask me how I know).

The advantage (per their marketing) is that it is shaped to create a venture effect to ensure the gases are passing over the sensor correctly.

There is a couple of seconds delay in the motor action vs sensor reading, but you are also getting the full spectrum of gases.

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

I was able to cut down the FAST tailpipe and works fine - see photo.  Added some wire as backup, just in case it did come loose while driving.  Using the PLX wideband sensor with Bluetooth and their iPhone app.  Works fine, but sensor AFR updates are very fast, could use more averaging to slow down the readings.  I was please to find that I have 13.2 AFR at WOT.

1.jpg

10 hours ago, rover1 said:

wouldnt the A/F readings be way off because the sensor is so far away from the collector? 

Assuming the exhaust system doesn't have leaks, the %O2 shouldn't change as the gas flows thru and out of the exhaust pipe.  I believe the only issue is time lag that it takes for exhaust to flow from engine to exhaust.

4 hours ago, seattle2002tii said:

Assuming the exhaust system doesn't have leaks, the %O2 shouldn't change as the gas flows thru and out of the exhaust pipe.  I believe the only issue is time lag that it takes for exhaust to flow from engine to exhaust.

In theory yes, but actual exhaust has problems with backpressure waves. So the readings close to the end of tailpipe might be off because of after the pressure wave of exhaust gases there is the anti pressure wave from atmosphere. That is why some tailpipe O2 sensors are odd shaped or has a really long tube behind them...

Best regards

Blaz