• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Sahara Beige Spray Cans?

I want to redo the engine compartment paint while it's empty but I'm years away from blasting and redoing the whole car. Original paint in there with some battery acid rust and some brake fluid corrosion. I'm not going to strip and sand, etc. just clean things up. Sticker says Sahara. When I Google Sahara I get Sahara Beige Metallic 443 for a newer Mini and I suspect that's not what I want. 

Where can I get a couple of big spray cans of the old-school Sahara or equivalent?

i've done several under hood and trunk re-paints...i've always used the exterior high gloss urethane from lowes or home depot in a Prevail sprayer and a small soft fuzzy roller...cheaper, 100 times better than anything out of a spray can and you'll get a good color match if you take them something to match to

for best results you'll have to reduce it to spray or roll it on

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, esty said:

i've done several under hood and trunk re-paints...i've always used the exterior high gloss urethane from lowes or home depot in a Prevail sprayer and a small soft fuzzy roller...cheaper, 100 times better than anything out of a spray can and you'll get a good color match if you take them something to match to

for best results you'll have to reduce it to spray or roll it on

Now we're talking. The whole car will be stripped someday so this will get 'er done for now. Thanks.

I am / have had to do some 'touch-up' on my new paint job which is BMW Alpine white (Alpinweiss) 300.  Locally FinishMasters has a store that mixes rattle cans AND we have a local NAPA store that does it as well.  Really cool that the guy that runs that part of the store was an ex-body paint guy so has some good tips as well.  I used a Preval on the underside of my car and it worked fine for that, they can be pretty spotty on how the paint goes on, not sure I would use one for anything anyone is going to look closely at...you could give the preval a go and see how it works and then go to plan B if it isn't going to cut the mustard - min investment so long as you can buy a minimal amount of paint.  Good luck.

So....what - exactly - do I take to the paint store to color match? A chip? Scrapings?  I suspect new Sahara won't look good against the faded 40 year old SoCal paint. Car's non-op.

I'll look silly holding the hood over my head in Lowe's.

7 hours ago, andyleonard said:

So....what - exactly - do I take to the paint store to color match? A chip? Scrapings?  I suspect new Sahara won't look good against the faded 40 year old SoCal paint. Car's non-op.

I'll look silly holding the hood over my head in Lowe's.

Don’t take anything except the color name and finish masters will make a spray can. Much better than prevail in that you get a nice large spray pattern

A local auto paint supply store, Hawley's Paints, once quoted me around $50 to mix a quart of Ford white, based on the paint code, for my Ranger pickup. They wanted $10 per spray can after that. I think the guy said I could get 4 spray cans from the quart. I didn't choose to go that way, given it was a basic work truck. I used an $8 can of Rustoleum to paint a new bumper fascia instead.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Years ago, I  found a pretty damn close match for Sahara at the local hardware store (OSH). Might have been their house brand spray paint, or Rustoleum.

On my current Alfa, the Rustoleum hi-temp BBQ silver spray paint is a great match for the engine compartment.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I have recently done this in Australia.

I took my car down to the nearest local pro car paint supplier.

They put a little machine onto the paint, it read the colour, and then he went to a book pulled out a card with the colour on it, the card had 1 inch a hole in it, he placed that on the car and the match was almost flawlesss, I cant tell the difference.

I was surprised, very very good match. Cheers.