• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone recognize and know anything about my new 2002

SteveS

On 7/11/2018 at 9:37 AM, conkitchen said:

In the end of the day it does nothing really to make the car "more valuable" if that is your goal.

I disagree.

What the records show, is not just the "What" that was done but the "When" and most importantly the mileage at which it was done. That will reveal any inconsistencies in the odometer readings. In my case, when scrutinizing the documents from the original owner, I found that the odometer had rolled and more importantly the WHY as to the engine change and the full documentation. So, the correspondence shows that a matching numbers engine was replaced with a BMW long block rather than repaired because it was 1500.00 cheaper. That was common in the '70s and '80s. In the end that event will not devalue the car because it is documented properly.

To speak to having Dave Cruze rebuild the engine, I initially purchased an engine "built" by Franz Fechner. By the time I was ready to install it, I found that Dave had done the work. I then had Dave rework the compression to my liking. It was very expensive at the time, but done right. That engine has over 200K on it. Dave and Franz were two that I came to trust if I didn't do it myself.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, SteveS said:

...now to find my 97 April Roundel as they are packed in a box still from the move a few years back...

Huh? You don’t keep the old Roundels by your bedside.... ?

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Certain names from our past were synonymous with quality.

Dave for motors.

Franz for trans/diffs.

Curt for radiators.

Damn. I miss those guys, but better for having known and hanging out with them.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes