• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting engine that's been idle for a few years

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm beginning work on an engine that's been sitting for a few years. Is it ok to check to see if it turns as is, or should I put oil or something in the cylinders to prevent damage? The engine has not been run since some time in '98 when it overheated.

Guest Anonymous

hole (some folks swear by Marvel Mystery Oil). Let things soak for a few hours and try to turn the engine with a 30mm socket on the crank pulley nut.

If you can get things to turn, rotate by hand several turns, dump (and replace) the existing old oil, put on a fresh battery, dump a couple tablespoons of fresh gas down the throat of the carb and let us know what happens.

Hard to say what damage was done before it was stopped, it'll be much easier to diagnose if you can get it running again. If you can't turn the engine by hand, I sure wouldn't try to fire things up.

Cheers!

John N.