• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wet Sanding Rattle Can Paint?

Chris_B

The final product. The paint made all of the difference in the world. I used SEM high build primer and SEM satin black trim paint. Maybe 5% of the improvement was due to me trying to lighten up on the trigger finger. I wet sanded the primer with 800 grit before painting. I have to say I am pretty happy with the outcome. Lessons learned: use the right paint for the job; using black primer is probably not the best choice for something you intend to paint black. When applying the paint, it is really hard to tell where you have covered the primer. 02_booster3.thumb.JPG.3d5ece68fabf3ad8d2856ac17313c949.JPG02_booster4.thumb.JPG.60bbf47f04b937a0ee26c963ecfe5415.JPG02_booster5.thumb.JPG.b41cea2ca6a73fc4531cfdec8097738d.JPG

• Like 5

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

• 4 years later...

What is the verdict on finish for a correct brake booster, satin, semi-gloss or glossy? Just eyeballing what I have currently it appears to be more of a semi-gloss. Any consensus on this?

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

The SEM Trim paint is pretty close to a semi-gloss black (maybe slightly flatter).  It's creates a good tough flexible finish.  It stands up to the elements well.  When I refinished my stock tii gas tank I went with Krylon semi-gloss black.  It matched the original finish perfectly.  I even spot sprayed it on some exhaust rub marks on a new W&N gas tank and you couldn't tell the difference where the spot spray was compared with the original finish.  I think the brake booster is about the same finish as a gas tank.  I vote semi-gloss.

Edited by JohnS
  • Thanks 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️