• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamonix or Chamonix ?

Road trip

Somewhere on this site you will find a post talking about this. It seems the early Chamonix (maybe up to 1973) is the creamier version and the ‘later’ version was considerably whiter as you point out. Same paint code. Go figure. 

IMG_0010.thumb.JPG.e03939b8d67588ae8d9df751e2aec062.JPG

Edited by Simeon
Excuse to post a picture of my car
  • Like 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

5 hours ago, gregpark said:

Chamonix should be chamonix, looks white until you park next to a white car. Then it looks slightly tannish. Variations in chamonix are probably due to how much sun exposure, how the paint was cared for, waxs used, etc. over the years.

Oh, and go single stage imho

IMG_20131108_100648_498.jpg

Which brand single stage did you use ?

When I worked for a full-tilt high end restoration shop, our painters ALWAYS had to custom tint whatever paint was provided to us, by the manufacturer / paint supply house. Didin't matter if it was RM, Glasurit, or PPG… or single / base/clear….so in other words… I don't know how you'd get it exactly, perfectly correct after 40+ years with new, improved paint technology / ingredients. Paint has come a LONG LONG way with regard to improvements and capabilities in recent years. Just look at all the amazing colors and effects on new cars - colors that would have been impossible, 10-20 years ago! Ultraviolet / sun exposure, grease and plain old air pollution all affect paint… and it's nearly impossible IMHO to determine what truly was "correct" unless the car was parked in a sterile, climate controlled space for 40 years. When Matt McGinn at SCR painted my Malaga 02 with Glasurit, I request a tad more red, so that it would be less "brown"… with my fjord paint, I went with one of TWO formulas PPG had available. We can drive ourselves nuts with figuring out what was truly original and correct - and STILL may never know. 

And getting it correct based on photos taken from the internet with iPhones? Forget it! :D

IMG_0819.JPG

DSC01070.JPG

IMG_5109.JPG

• Like 4

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

7 hours ago, Simeon said:

Somewhere on this site you will find a post talking about this. It seems the early Chamonix (maybe up to 1973) is the creamier version and the ‘later’ version was considerably whiter as you point out. Same paint code. Go figure. 

IMG_0010.thumb.JPG.e03939b8d67588ae8d9df751e2aec062.JPG

+1

This ^

And...I have seen a rapidly growing number of Alpine White 02’s within the last 5-10 years, including many that wear fresh “Alpine” underhood paint stickers: owners are proud of this switch and wish to “authenticate” it. Alpine White, of course, post-dates BMW’s ‘02 era.

I view this movement toward Alpine White reflective of current tastes. And I believe it has a subtle effect of moving even bona fide Chamonix re-paints toward the whiter end of the spectrum. Whereas I view Chamonix as a lusciously “creamy” white, I can’t count how many people I’ve heard refer to Chamonix, in recent years, as a “dirty” white.

So even many formulaic paint colors slowly shift their tones over time. Just as Mintgrun today is generally more “peppy” and less “minty” than it was in 1975, I suspect Chamonix is generally more “white” and less “creamy” than it was in 1975.

It’s your car and you can paint it as you wish, but be aware that you will generally obtain different results if you simply “mix up a batch” based on the modern formula versus the “custom tinting” Paul (Wegweiser) describes above!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Someone had a beautiful car on here a few years back who deliberately added a ‘bit more’ yellow into the Chamonix to accentuate the colour into more of a ‘primrose’. Not to everyone’s taste but the car was stunning. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

When Vern was painted. New color was an exact match to the paint under the removed dash. Painted with Glasurit Single stage Verona 024.  

Verona 024 color match.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

My car is repainted and has a creamer look to it. Ironically when i buy touch up paint, it tends to be whiter than my respray color to i feel the OP problem.

14479545_10154840239346564_7620818157368647228_n.jpg

Edited by Stevenc22
  • Like 2

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

3 hours ago, Road trip said:

Which brand single stage did you use ?

I had this painted in 1988! And I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. People still ask every now and then if the paint is new. I do remember buying the best paint available and I'm sure it's unavailable now. At least in CA

• Like 1

I had the exact same experience.  My car is a 1974 Chamonix 085 and I had the paint refreshed by a high end restoration shop before I have the whole car done after the mechanicals are sorted.  They had quite a challenge getting the paint to match no matter what they did.  My car was whiter than what they mixed up several times using the 085 paint code.  As we all know, white is a very interesting color so they used a paint gun to produce the match.  As they researched the color they too found that there were actually two 085 whites.  Who knows why?  We think that the creamier color was on the early cars and the factory brightened up the color using a cooler white on the 74s and later.  It was a pain in the tail but it is now correct.  When we do the whole exterior, we will at least have a better match to the original.  They were using two stage Glasurit paint.

Edited by j2002tii
additional info
  • Like 1

When the car is painted ask for touch up paint from the job.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Related/unrelated question:

My car was repainted by the PO - poorly - and while I don't have $ for a real redo I'm wondering what advice you all have for spot fixes? I know white is so hard to match and I'm probably going to just have as much "feathering in" as I can and call it a day. I've got marks where the trim wasn't removed prior to paint, and some bubbling areas that were just painted over.

If I fix the rust spot, have a primer area etc what do you suggest to get by? 

If you have a good paint that matches, then probably fix a whole area at a time. The nice thing is the Knee trim does a good job of creating separate areas so you dont have to paint a whole door just to fix one rust spot. If you dont have a good paint match, then you have no choice but to just try and touch up that one spot as best you can until you have $ for a respray.

• Thanks 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.